Bees Cleaning Extractor...

Question Bees Cleaning Extractor...

Recently extracted a couple of supers from a couple of hives…

Can I place the extractor near the hives and let the bees clean them? Or could this lead to problems with bees from other hives going after it also...

Thanks…1/33rd

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees Cleaning Extractor...

I like to put mine about a hundred yards away from the hives. If you can't, I still would put them as far as you can from the hives. I do know the bees can clean extractors and buckets ten times better then I can.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Do not put the extractor near any hives. It could lead to robbing after the extractor is clean.

I have had the bees clean buckets and the extractor in the past and it always kills a lot of bees that get stuck in the honey. So I just clean the equipment myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post
    Do not put the extractor near any hives. It could lead to robbing after the extractor is clean.

I have had the bees clean buckets and the extractor in the past and it always kills a lot of bees that get stuck in the honey. So I just clean the equipment myself.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post

Same here. Bees get stuck in the left over honey in the bottom, even though it is very shallow.

I let the bees clean up the equipment and the cappings. I might lose a few bees but they do a great job and it is so easy. I would not want to do it by the hives though. With fourty to sixty thousand bees per hive, I don't think I have ever had more killed in a clean up then one would kill if doing an alcohol wash for mites on a hive or two. I have only extracted three times though. I do lay everything on its side.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood271 View Post
    Same here. Bees get stuck in the left over honey in the bottom, even though it is very shallow.
    I let them reclaim the little bit of honey left in the extractor or the bottling buckets. Yes I lose a few bees getting stuck in the honey but not many. I suspect a lot of the dead bees are older and would soon expire anyway. Out of the thousands and thousands of bees swarming a puddle of honey... a few hundred dead bees doesn't seem to be a very large number. I have learned to turn the containers on their side. For some reason it seems the bees can't find their way vertically out of a container as well as horizontally.

I also don't feed near my hives. The nearest would be about 75 yards down the driveway, on the other side of the house and not in line of flight from any of the hives farther away in the main part of the apiary.

(Fingers crossed) Never had a problem so far...

It is very nice for them to clean up most of the sticky stuff and not just rinse it down the drain. They are more than happy to take care of it and everything is practically dry when the bees are done with it. Just a rinse with the hose and a light wash and I'm ready to go again.