Question on black locust

Default Question on black locust

My area is suburban. There are plenty of locust trees in the area (not a forest of them) but I cannot ever notice that I get any increase in honey / nectar from them. The blooms are open one day and spent a few days later. How does anybody actually get honey from them with such a short blooming window? Are they known for being good in some years and poor in others?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question on black locust

It appears that they are a great nectar source but the window of opportunity is small like you observed. While this thread is titled Honey Locust, black locust is discussed. J
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...t=black+locust

We have a lot of black locust in TN. My area I get a good black locust flow almost every year with one year out of four no flow. Other areas in TN 1 out of every 3 or 4 years they get a black locust flow. As far as a short flow I have not experienced that it generally last 2 to 3 weeks. I run 10 frame deep honey supers put the first deep super on then 5 days late have to put a second deep on then 7 days later a third deep. When the black locust flow hits the bees will ignore everything else. The years I don't get a black locust flow are years that have been either extremely dry or extremely wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    The years I don't get a black locust flow are years that have been either extremely dry or extremely wet.
    I am in Seattle, extremely wet is just about every year!

This is an interesting question. I am in a rural area and my property has many black locust trees. I thought the black locust flow was short in my area this year (less than a week) and the honey yield has been less than previous years. I have not really kept track of bloom lengths until this year so it will be interesting to see how long the flows are going forward.

I wish I had your problems slow drone. That's a lot of honey in a short time

Good amount of Black Locust around me. It is a short bloom. Some years it gets too hot and blooms dry up quick, other years it's rained out. This year was a great bloom.

here the bloom lasts a long time but it is usually to cool for much nectar gathering. i made a little from it this year.

Seems like the flow from it starts after the blooms go from brilliant white to a little yellow. It's a noticeable change.

We hit around 90 just perfect for it this year and the bees did well for a few days they got to get after it. Then basswood worked out (or may still be finishing up now) really well here this year too. Excited for extraction whenever I get to it.

Where I'm at in eastern Missouri, the black locust bloom lasted about 1 week this year--probably would've gone a bit longer, but we got a hard rain and the flowers virtually disappeared after that. I did a short blog post with a picture of the weight change in one of my hives during the locust bloom...pretty impressive how good things get for the bees right when those trees bloom.

https://www.mitecalculator.com/bee-y...t-a-honey-flow

double

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I wish I had your problems slow drone. That's a lot of honey in a short time
    I run single brood chambers no excluders and super with deeps loaded with drawn comb (an excellent opportunity to make use of drawn drone comb) I super 4 times harvest 3 leave one for the bees and queen to push up into then split after the flow stops. No swarm issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Seems like the flow from it starts after the blooms go from brilliant white to a little yellow. It's a noticeable change.
    That is good to know. I kept looking for honey bees on those beautiful white flowers and hardly found any. This year I thought the bloom peaked at the end of May but the real peak as bees saw it may have been a bit later. But whenever the peak was, it did not produce much this year; combined with the blackberry, probably 2/3 of the maple.

I'm my area the bloom was fantastic. The problem is that it happened during a dry spell so little or no nectar. Then late in the bloom cran came days of heavy rain ending the bloom. Last year we filled boxes from their blooms. When it's good, it's good.