One of my hives is 6 mediums deep and FULL of bees! (I use all 8 frame mediums) It is a hive that I started in the spring when I split another large hive. It was already doing pretty well and I had another hive get robbed and what was left was not doing very well, so I combined the small hive with the larger one. Now it is almost over flowing. The top box has foundation, but only about 1/2 drawn out. The next three or four boxes are full of honey. When I pull the outer cover off, bees are completely covering the inner cover and just start rolling out. I have not robbed it yet, but plan to in the next two weeks. I checked it last week and still had some uncapped honey, so I decided to wait a few more days.
After I rob it, I will remove a box or two, but with it being so full even when 6 deep, should I consider splitting it?
Is July too late to split in Middle TN?
I would of course start feeding them immediately, and hope both hives would be strong by winter, but I wonder if I would be better off waiting until next spring to split?