Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Testing oxalic acid in honey

15K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Robert Holcombe 
#1 ·
For a while now I have been kicking around the idea of conducting an experiment to see how much oxalic acid is contained in honey from hives that I am treating. I was going to test two hives. Hive one was going to have a series of five to seven treatments a week apart. Hive 2 was going to receive one treatment. The reason for this is I have done a series of treatments when I have brood and I have treated with m a q s late summer and a one shot of OA in the winter. I have only contacted one Laboratory but was shocked at the price they would charge. I was quoted $2,000 for one sample. Subsequent samples would be cheaper but I didn't bother to ask how much. The lab explained to me the challenges in conducting this test. I have to admit I did not really understand most of it not being a scientist. I am going to call around to see if I can get a more reasonable price. I am posting this for informational purposes but I am curious if anyone knows why this is so expensive and complicated. The amount of oxalic acid in vegetables such as spinach and kale is readily available so it can't be that hard or expensive to test I would think. I am interested in hearing from any scientists about this. My motivation for doing this is mainly personal and curiosity and I was hopeful perhaps I could advance the knowledge of OA and it's residuals in honey. On the personal side I extracted a bunch of deep frames in the spring and got 80 lb of absolutely delicious honey that I would love to eat but it looks like I will give back to the bees this fall unless I can assure myself that it is safe to eat. I do not sell honey and would only use this for personal consumption if the test results came back low. Any scientists out there? J

See less See more
#36 ·
The USDA submitted the request for OA treatment of bees / mites to the EPA who approved it based on a Canadian approval under a fast-track process during the Obama administration. You ae right, there was no profit incentive and a supplier volunteered to offer it up for sale as a distributor. They have since gone out of business. Million of pounds ( a lot is made) of OA are manufactured yearly in the USA and used in farming.

Most of Europe has an acceptance based on total acidity of the honey. The testing issue is related to "half-life" which is rather short for OA. Non-profit European studies are available - we are falling behind while focusing on money. Tidbit: OA is critical to the human digestive system the final part.

I have no issue, anymore, with the EPA application requirements. I do not treat in the Spring or Summer as my OAV winter treatment works wonders. I remove my supers in the early Fall leaving my winter brood chamber configuration. Post removal, the bees get the final Fall foraging and move on to robbing - that's when I treat with OAV, and often, approximately 13,500 Dead Drop Count last year for 8 foraging hives.

My two cents, all this is from memory and subject to correction, for what it's worth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.