Moving swarm from deep nuc to mediums

Default Moving swarm from deep nuc to mediums

Caught a swarm last night and only had my 5 frame nuc with me. I would like to transfer them into a 8frame medium. Is it ok to just shake them off the deep frames or should i put a 8frame deep on top of the medium and hope they move down and then reove the deep?

Also to note, all frames are brand new, so nothing has been drawn yet

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving swarm from deep nuc to mediums

If you just put them on new foundation you are not loosing much time if you move them soon. The longer you wait the more drawn comb you have lost.

I suppose there is always a chance they could object to you moving them into a new box and abscond after the move. If you have a frame of open brood on a medium frame add that when you move them. That will help to anchor them to the new box and give them a head start on rearing brood.

Unfortunatly i dont have any broad on medium frames. The bees will only be in the nuc for about 12 hours

If it was me and I wanted them on medium frames going forward I would go ahead and take the small chance that they would abscond. Just be aware that there is that small chance. I run all most all mediums and it is not as easy to transfer them from deeps to mediums once they have brood and stores in deep frames.

Jeff,

Why not take 3 medium frames from another hive that have some drawn comb, remove the middle 3 deep frames from this nuc, and put them in the middle here? They should finish out drawing the comb and focus on the medium frames. If you wait too long, they'll extend it downward, but don't wait that long. That way they still have their scent in this deep nuc and less likely to leave, but you get them going on medium frames.

Well it went pretty staight forward. Just shoke the bees off the deep frames into the western and all seems fine.