Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?

Default Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?

After looking for hours online and not being able to locate the brass inserts with the flared ends [at a decent price], we had to resort to using .22 LR brass/copper shells to create a nice mason jar feeder.

I am including pics of the process.

It took a while to make 50+ feeders.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE WE CAN PURCHASE THE BRASS INSERTS?

Sure would save a lot of time if we could find those brass inserts!

Thank you

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

PS The good news is we got in some terrific target practice this morning!
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 06-29-2018 at 01:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?

home depot or lowes or any hardware store. its a tubing ferule or insert or something like that.

Default Re: Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?h

Default Re: Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?h

Coalreaper,

Yes, I saw and purchased those at HD, but at over $0.80 per piece it is far above our present budget. That would equate to $80 per hundred feeders!

I purchased the .22LR rounds several years ago when they were only $0.02 each....so that equates to $2 per hundred feeders...with just a tad more elbow grease!

Stiff plastic tubing and hot glue, cut the tube on an angle and pull into a tight hole cut to length a little glue and Bob's your uncle.

I haven't seen this type of feeder, only the ones with tiny holes punched into the lids.

More info?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

I have always used a short piece of copper tubing soldered in place. Make it what ever length you want ,just so it goes threw your lid. The tubing can be purchased at auto parts places.

Default Re: Making Mason Jar feeders with a .22lr. Where can we purchase the brass inserts?

What is the advantage over just taking the lids and punching 20 holes in them with an ice pick or small nail? Mine work well and probably provide more opportunities for multiple bees to feed at once.

When I use a jar feeder with a punched lid, it does not leak, it empties when the bees use it. What am I missing? I do not solder, heat the lid or anything but punch some holes and move on. Does heating the lid enough to solder in the ferule cause any issues with the seal?

I use these to feed nucs from outside the box and small breeder boxes in raising queens. I just drill a 1/4 hole in lid and put the copper tube threw the lid. I would see no real reason you couldnt hot glue the tube in place. Just a different way to keep a small feed going without crowding the queen. With a front entrance feeder the feed is at the entrance and can promote robbing if flow is not on.

Quote Originally Posted by kengineer View Post
    What is the advantage over just taking the lids and punching 20 holes in them with an ice pick or small nail? Mine work well and probably provide more opportunities for multiple bees to feed at once.
    FWIW - you don't need so many - somewhere between 3 and 5 is enough. All you're trying to do with these holes is to allow some syrup to leak out and form a meniscus (i.e. hang down underneath) around them. It's the presence of that meniscus which prevents air from entering and thus holds the partial vacuum inside the jar.

I agree with you - punched holes in the the lids of inverted jars works great. Keep the sun off 'em, and they won't leak. Quick to make, and they cost nothing.

Also - you can place them directly onto mesh without squashing any bees, or place 'em over open holes (my favourite) by sliding them into position over a sheet of stiff plastic, then pulling the plastic away. Not quite sure how you're meant to install these tube feeders ... sounds a bit tricky to me - visions of a dozen or more bees getting in the way.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

"Sounds like" the only advantage to the tube is a small hole in the cover (tube size) in which to feed??
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I learn something new all the time, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I haven't seen this type of feeder, only the ones with tiny holes punched into the lids.

More info?
    Here is a link to Randy Oliver's site that shows some pictures and information on the feeder. Scroll down to see the information...

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fat-bees-part-3/

Or you can make life a whole lot easier by purchasing 1/8" (or smaller) micro tubing for drip irrigation. Like: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Dr...g-p/12-006.htm

The benefits are endless!
    * Super cheap
    * No soldering, just drill hole small enough so the tube can be squeezed through but can't be pulled out easily.
    * Flexible. Won't break or leak if you hit obstruction when installing the jar.
    * Easy repairs and replacement in the field if joint is leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    Stiff plastic tubing and hot glue, cut the tube on an angle and pull into a tight hole cut to length a little glue and Bob's your uncle.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    Or you can make life a whole lot easier by purchasing 1/8" (or smaller) micro tubing for drip irrigation. Like: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Dr...g-p/12-006.htm

The benefits are endless!
    * Super cheap
    * No soldering, just drill hole small enough so the tube can be squeezed through but can't be pulled out easily.
    * Flexible. Won't break or leak if you hit obstruction when installing the jar.
    * Easy repairs and replacement in the field if joint is leaking.
    That's two.