Any not affected by bee stings!

Default Any not affected by bee stings!

Just wondering if there was anyone not affected by bee stings.
    Certainly not I. Stings to any part of my body other than from the neck up are just an annoyance. From the neck up, that’s a whole nuther matter
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Any not affected by bee stings!

pretty much the same here larry.

the bigger annoyance is the frenzy the bees get into after the smell of few stings gets into the air.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Not affected by stings? I think we're all affected by stings to varying degrees and varying conditions.
    I recently had a sting on my ear that burned dreadfully, for about 5 minutes, then nothing. Another sting the other day, same affect. But 2 weeks ago I got a sting on my chin while helping a friend (through my beard) that made my chin swell like a goose egg for 3 days.

I've seen youtube vids of southern beekeepers wearing nothing but t-shirts and shorts. They come off as unaffected by the stings, but if you look carefully you can see them wince when the get tagged and you can sometimes see the swelling commence.

I don't believe anyone is not affected to some degree by honey bee stings.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

still affected yes, but not anything like it was the first season. it's possible to develop tolerance to the venom. it's also possible to develop hypersensitivity. all this varies with the individual.

When I first started keeping bees 11 years ago any sting was horrible, but a sting to the face was a horror show. Now I get no reaction at all. We were shaking packages a few weeks ago and had an unnoticed hole in my veil, got stung 12+ times in the face and head. Was finding stingers days later. Not a reaction at all. I was just mentioning a couple of days ago that I would much rather get stung by one of my bees, than these rotten mosquito bites.

I had an older guy at church tell me a wise tale that it depends what they are working on how bad the sting hurts 😂. i don't know tho could be true sometimes they hurt really bad like on the tip of finger and sometimes like when getting stung in arm or leg seems like I don't even notice or remember where I got stung after a few minutes .Seems more like depends how sensitive of an area that you get stung or how used to it you are more than what they are working on seems like a wise tale but has anyone else heard that?

This is my second year beekeeping. One thing I can say for sure is the stings hurt!! Everyone of them!
    As far as reactions to the stings, I have been stung on the face and other body parts with no swelling. But my last sting a week ago was another one to the hand, except this one caused lots of swelling.

I wish I werent so whimpy about the pain! My wife got tore up by some wasps(7 stings) a week ago and she took it like a champ! I would have whined like a baby! LOL

I'm one of those southern beekeepers in short-sleeve shirts and shorts with just a veil on. I am not being a cowboy. I just have to make the choice between heat stroke and bee stings. So I get stung a lot. The pain is no different, but I do not get much of a "reaction" as far as swelling or itching goes any longer. But for the stinger, I can't tell where I have been stung after a couple of hours or so. That has not always been the case. Facial stings use to swell pretty badly. I don't get much swelling anywhere anymore. They still hurt though.

For me it comes down to thin meat vs thick meat. A sting to my arms, neck, body, legs is thick meat. A sting to my forehead, cheeks or my fingers is thin meat. A thick meat sting leaves a little welt that goes away after a short while. A sting to my face (thin meat) swells, as do my fingers. I've been stung on my wrist right over the bones: thin meat, wrist swells. I've been stung two inches away on my forearm or hand, thick meat, and it leaves a welt, itches an hour later, gone a little while after that. Forehead is the worst place, very thin meat over a bonehead .

My son (20) who is the reason I got back into beekeeping after a few years off isn't even phased by them. "Hey boy, did you just get stung?" Kid looks at hand, sees stinger and gut dangling, "Oh, looks like I did." Picks it off, goes back to work. Fifteen minutes later, me: "Hows that hand doing?" Kid: "What hand? Why?"
    Zone 6B

I'm one of the lucky ones t shirt and shorts with no veil sandals on my feet. had a good test earlier this year got stung right under the nose didn't even get a fat lip but it sure did hurt.

It hurts at the moment of the sting and occasionally hurts for a minute or two afterward. That's it. No swelling or itching or redness, at all any more. Ten minutes later I'd be hard pressed to even identify the spot.

My only major worry is that I hate being startled by a sting; I'm afraid I'll drop the comb or fall off my scaffold.

Nancy

I haven't wore gloves at all this year, and get stung a few times....up to half a dozen times on one hand without swelling (usually I'll pinch one in the cuff of my jacket). The initial sting hurts a bit, but I remove the stinger asap and all is good. I do wear a jacket & veil most of the time, but will occasionally open a hive to remove feed jars etc without any protection at all. I've been lucky in that regard though.....first bump and I'm gone.

I don't have a reaction to stings but they still hurt, some worse than others. On very rare occasion they can draw blood on my upper arms. Maybe it depends on how deep the sting penetrates and how much venom the bee has. Most stings to my hands don't hurt to bad but sometimes its seems they hit the right spot and it really hurts for a few minutes. I'm not recommending it, but the few times a year I have minor lower back pain a few stings in the back works really well for me.

A little pain and sometimes some itchiness an hour later.

i may have to retract my earlier posts. i harvested a couple of supers today and as luck would have it and for the first time ever i took a few stings to the crotch area...

this despite wearing a full suit, boots, and gloves.

when i got home and inspected the suit i discovered about a 3" separation in the crotch of the suit. ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    will occasionally open a hive to remove feed jars etc without any protection at all.
    I often don't suit up if all I'm doing is a fast peek, filling a feeder, etc. But if I venture around the apiary without a veil I put on safety glasses. I've been stung on the eyelid a couple of times and that ain't never good.
    Zone 6B

i"ve been going gloveless unless the weather is bad. i get 4 or 6 in the hands while holding frames or whatever. i cuss a little but couldn't tell where i am stung a few minutes later.

I never know, got stung on the inside of a nostril, hurt like the dickens at the moment and expected my face to swell, barely any reaction at all. Got stung on the forehead and 3 minutes later, nothing. Got stung on the bony part of my finger and half my hand ballooned. So, for me.., who knows?
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

You can become more sensitized to bee stings.

When I first started in beekeeping I never had any swelling when a bee stung me. Not so much as a bump. That first year, I got stung on every part of my body, head, hands, arms, legs ankles, dozens of times.

Then one day in my first year I got stung on the side of my right hand, 12 hours later I had a tough time making a fist, my hand was so swollen.

edit to add: I remember when the swelling happened. When I transition from no reaction to a fairly strong histamine reaction. I thought "D*****t is this the change that I've read about? Is this going to end my love of beekeeping? Some of the stuff I had read indicated there was no going back. But I can tell you there is.
    Last edited by Qvox; 07-01-2018 at 04:03 PM.