Honey color year to year

Default Honey color year to year

What a difference a year makes. Last year, a much darker and stronger flavor. This year, very light and mild. We had a very cold April that delayed many early and mid April blooms. Seemed everything bloomed all at once instead a staggered order. I'm thinking they just didn't hit the tulip poplar much this year. (no idea why the pic is sideways. I've tried multiple times to fix it.)

IMG_1571.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by theriverhawk; 06-24-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey color year to year

Same here. I am hoping to post some pics as well. In my area it is the tulip poplar nectar that darkens our honey. I never saw any bloom this year. Someone suggested that it might have been some of the torrential rainfall that we got early in the spring that may have knocked the early buds off. I don't have any idea whether that happened or not or if it was something else.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I do no know what did this to my honey but it is much darker then my fall honey last year. I do not like it but my wife doesn't want to sell it cause she really likes it. It is thick.

I get so little honey that I just mix it all when I extract and there could have been some frames that the bees did not use over winter from last fall. I wish I was sure what caused the darkness cause I believe I would separate or avoid no matter what my wife says. I was expecting light spring summer honey and got this.
    It was not like this last summer june extraction but even then it was not lite color like I see some get.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

The color is normal variation from effects of mother nature. Different blooms, stronger or longer, more preferable, weather conditions, size of colony. When honey was supered and pulled.

I can pull honey at 3 different times April-June to meet different honey classea at fair. Light, light Amber and Amber.

20mb image hosting

Each time I extract, I save a 2 oz bear. Here's what I've gotten since 2015, left to right.
    dx6W4tfl.jpg
    Last edited by wwfoste; 06-25-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I do no know what did this to my honey but it is much darker then my fall honey last year. I do not like it but my wife doesn't want to sell it cause she really likes it. It is thick.........
    gww
    Haha!
    I am very much into dark beers!
    Oh, I mean dark honeys.

Anyway, I am with your wife on this one - keep the good stuff to yourself (dark honey, that is).
    Light stuff can go away.
    Dark honey is more nutritious, while at it.

PS: I have a jar of Golden Rod honey on my office desk which I really like to eat with tea.
    a coworker asked to try it (from his allergy) and then said - "Man, this is TOO strong!"
    I said - "Dude, some like light beer, some like dark beer, and some like no beer."
    And that's where it stands.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by wwfoste View Post
    Each time I extract, I save a 2 oz bear. Here's what I've gotten since 2015, left to right.
    That is a great idea!
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Gregv
    I like dark beer I am just not proud of the dark honey.

Mostly, I think I am copd, I have in my mind what I am going to get or see and when that is not what I see, it throws me for a little bit.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b