How risky is ti to store hive boxes in the attic?

Default How risky is ti to store hive boxes in the attic?

It just occured to me that dry woodenware, heat and bees wax? I also have 4 waxed cardboard NUC boxes in the same pile.....

fire hazard?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't in my house. Way too hot. I store everything in the basement or garage.

Default Re: How risky is ti to store hive boxes in the attic?

I wouldn't be worried about the risk of spontaneous combustion but where would you store the comb? I made the mistake once of leaving a frame of drawn comb on the front seat of my car earlier this year. Wasn't good for the comb and wax is really hard to get off leather.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I'd be more concerned about the smell of bees leaking-out through any tiny gaps in the roof-space ... sending out an invitation to any passing swarm-scouts: "Now here's a good place to set-up home."
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Now that's a topic for a whole new sub forum, "Attic Beekeeping". Think of the benefits, winter survability, not having to leave the house to play with your bees, etc. What could possibly go wrong?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I've been storing boxes and frames in my hot attic for years with not problems at all. The first year was when I learned about wax moths destroying the comb. Since then I've been spraying the frames with BT before putting them up in the attic. Since using BT the wax moth problem has gone away.

Mice.
    7 years; 3 colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about the risk of spontaneous combustion but where would you store the comb? I made the mistake once of leaving a frame of drawn comb on the front seat of my car earlier this year. Wasn't good for the comb and wax is really hard to get off leather.
    frames and such i freeze first and then store in weather tight tubs 41 and 74 qt tubs from the container store in the basement. I use BTa as well.