Is it possible to attach queen cages to the plastic JZ BZ queen cups?

Default Is it possible to attach queen cages to the plastic JZ BZ queen cups?

Hi everyone!

We recently tried the JZ BZ queen cups and have had a wonderful acceptance rate. We now have lots of sealed queen cells.

We would like to protect the queen cells with queen roller cages. I am not even sure if anyone produces queen protector cages that fit the plastic JZ BZ queen cups.

I found JZ BZ cages at Mann Lake and other sites. Do these work on the JZ BZ cups?

Or do we use the top cell queen protectors?

What works best?

Thank you

JZ BZ cages.jpgJZ BZ Cups.jpgTop bar cell protector.JPG JZ BZ cages 1.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is it possible to attach queen cages to the plastic JZ BZ queen cups?

I asked a similar but not exactly the same question earlier this year. Here is a link to that thread. The thread contains a link to a couple of other threads that were interesting and I think contained pictures...

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d-Roller-Cages

Default Re: Is it possible to attach queen cages to the plastic JZ BZ queen cups?

roller cages work, but you have to rubber band the cup in place, or I just use a little bees wax to keep the cup in place.

Soar, I just set the JZsBZs queen cell cups into the top of the roller cage. They sit in there but are not very secure. Once the queen emerges, I the put the cup holder and cell bar adapter in to plug the opening. My roller cages sit in a piece of plywood in which I cut 1-1/4" holes with a forstner bit. I started small but will make a board that fits the shelf in the incubator as I get better at this queen rearing thing.
    BTW, the orange cell protectors are for intoducing a queen cell pre-emergence into the hive. They do fit the JZsBZs cups.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If you use a 1/2" drill on a California mini cage cell will fit right in.