Mann Lake - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Mann Lake

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,587

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I have only purchased once from Mann Lake and the order was shipped fast and arrived in good condition. I have never bought bees from them though. I am suprised they did not make a modification to their shipping policy to rectify this situatation. Customer service just isn't what it used to be.
    They have screwed up a couple of orders of mine and I’ve found their customer service to be pretty good but then I’m a higher volume customer. Keep in mind here that shipping bees is unique and highly seasonal with limited supplies and shipping windows. Not a situation where you can grab another one off the shelf. I have no doubt bee suppliers hate dealing with the myriad problems and customer service that comes with live third party bee deliveries but I suppose it’s hard to furnish everything a beekeeper needs.....except the bees.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KC, MO, USA
    Posts
    4,646

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Well, that sounds really vexing, and I am sorry you are having trouble with ML.

    But maybe it will make you feel a bit better if I say that I, for one, am glad to see you posting again on BeeSource, Several of us wondered at your absence and were hoping all was well. There even was a thread about it sometime this spring!


    Nancy

  4. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    5,400

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I’m not trying to be combative here but what good is a replacement queen going to do almost a month later when the package has dwindled to “a cup of bees”? I think ML’s offer of a replacement nuc is a pretty fair offer, as that’s your best chance to end up with any production at that late date but of course a nuc isn’t very shippable and ML would undoubtedly already be losing money on the deal Is it ML’s fault that the customers best option is sending paid help in a vehicle that’s not very fuel efficient?
    Look They sold a package and represented said package as having a BRED Queen. IT did not! They could have solved the problem By putting one of the extra queens supplied by the package grower in a priority mail package and sent said queen. I would have paid the shipping. Instead they demanded I drove or sent someone 450 miles. When I first called them They were not down to a cup of bees their messing around for weeks is what resulted in the diminishment to a cup of bees. It is not a matter of the bees, or the money, It is a matter of I paid for somethin, Drove a long way to get it. and it was NOT what it was represented to be.

    .
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 06-22-2018 at 10:39 AM.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Sorry to hear about that Tenbears. I know that is a very frustrating situation.

    I am glad to see you posting here again though and am hoping for a great bee season for you there.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Good to see you posting again TenBears. Sorry for the issues with Mann Lake. My only criticism of ML (and I have never ordered bees from them) is that their website looks like it was designed by a 7th grader. Terrible product descriptions and pictures. No technical specs on anything. No ability to see your "Bee Bucks" and actually know what your order is going to cost you until a couple of days after you order. I have been to a lot of Mom & Pop hobby store websites that do a much better job than ML. Otherwise, I have been satisfied.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I ordered several packages from Mann Lake earlier this year, They told me a new queen. but I would have to drive to their store to get it. I told them It was a 450 mile trip and the fuel cost alone was more than the cost of the queen and asked if they would mail her.
    Would like to have more information if possible. Do you ever sell nucs or packages? If so do you deliver or must the buyer(s) pick up? If the package fails and you choose to replace the queen or entire package of bee do you deliver to the buyer or must they pick up?
    Thanks.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    5,400

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I tend to agree and I do a lot of business with them.
    Sorry, but I just have to make an observation here. Iím not going to say ML handled this very well but am I the only one here that finds it a bit odd that someone who ďmaintains a 100 hives and mentors dozens of studentsĒ is paying over $140 for a package and isnít able to diagnose the problem a bit sooner and come up with some brood to remedy the occasional queen issue one gets with packages? I expect that from a newbie not from someone claiming 57 years of beekeeping experience.
    Not that it is any of your business, But, we are doing a study with saskatraz bees, and Olivarez Honey bee is a large supplier, They sell through Mann Lake. No I realize we could have ordered Queens direct from Oliverez, and re-queened existing hives However carni queen seem to have trouble indoctrinating to Italian hives, Beside the time involved in breed conversion of the hive would impact the study. NOW, since you have NO idea as to the basis of the study you really should not assume and should expect NOTHING!

    I too do a lot of business with Mann Lake. I buy boxes by the pallet. and frames by the case. And yes over the years I have had a bump in the road here and there with them. That is to be expected. But to call and have the girl that answers the phone be rude, uncooperative and refuse to let you speak to the supervisor, Saying he is not in today. When you request to have him call you back he/she never does. Making you call dozens of times to speak to a supervisor. That is just wrong. Them to offer an unreasonable solution is offensive. And it has been this way ever since they opened their facility in Pennsylvania.



    Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Well, that sounds really vexing, and I am sorry you are having trouble with ML.

    But maybe it will make you feel a bit better if I say that I, for one, am glad to see you posting again on BeeSource, Several of us wondered at your absence and were hoping all was well. There even was a thread about it sometime this spring!


    Nancy
    People like this are the reason I left beesource. They make it not about the discussion But one's experience, and veracity! Thanks Jim For the reminder. Good of you to offer it early on so I waste no more of my time!

  9. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    5,400

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Yes I do sell Packages and nucs and no I do not deliver. However, if I sell one and they are not what I represent them to be I will bring a replacement to the customer, I will go through their hive and asses the situation and install a replacement queen if that is what is required. In fact along with the packages I purchase for our study, I also got sever from Man Lake for resale. Some of them had queen Issues. Those that were Italians I replaced the queens with queens I had raised at no charge. I did not tell my customers Well they are live stock and cannot be guaranteed, Or I have no way of knowing that you did not damage her during an inspection. And If a Package fails because of My actions or inactions yes, I replace it. If the situation warranted I would ship a queen or a package. If I were incapable of supplying them with a viable queen at THEIR convenience I would credit them the cost of buying a queen and the shipping to get it to them. and advise them to get one from the best posable source.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,587

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Not that it is any of your business, But, we are doing a study with saskatraz bees, and Olivarez Honey bee is a large supplier, They sell through Mann Lake. No I realize we could have ordered Queens direct from Oliverez, and re-queened existing hives However carni queen seem to have trouble indoctrinating to Italian hives, Beside the time involved in breed conversion of the hive would impact the study. NOW, since you have NO idea as to the basis of the study you really should not assume and should expect NOTHING!
    Indeed this would have been good information to have initially posted and the reason I found your post so vexing. If my response is forcing you to leave Beesource then that is your right but I do find it odd that you decided to make this cameo with such a title when perhaps a thread entitled “We are doing a study on Carni queens” with a little offshoot about your difficulty in obtaining one would have had a more positive ring to it. In any case, sorry I offended you and sorry to hear ML’s branch out there has had a few problems. Wishing you all the best, most on here will attest to the fact that I’m actually a pretty nice guy.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  11. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    5,400

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Indeed this would have been good information to have initially posted and the reason I found your post so vexing. If my response is forcing you to leave Beesource then that is your right but I do find it odd that you decided to make this cameo with such a title when perhaps a thread entitled “We are doing a study on Carni queens” with a little offshoot about your difficulty in obtaining one would have had a more positive ring to it. In any case, sorry I offended you and sorry to hear ML’s branch out there has had a few problems. Wishing you all the best, most on here will attest to the fact that I’m actually a pretty nice guy.
    Why does what I am doing with these packages matter as to weather The supplier is acting professionally? The title was appropriate for the thread. I did not post to discuss the study, I posted to warn people of a POOR vender who has no real customer loyalty. why should it have to have a "positive ring"? Why should my experience, or integrity have been called into question. Why should my Veracity be challenged. You went so far as to check my background for no other reason than to challenge my integrity. Pretty nice guys do not do that! Again, Thanks for the reminder.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,587

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    You went so far as to check my background for no other reason than to challenge my integrity.
    Yes, I read your public profile.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, Alabama
    Posts
    2,998

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    I get a tad cranky when someone ships me damaged goods. I received a package of 100 nursery trays that had one corner broken out. They are useless in the greenhouse. Fortunately, they were replaced with no questions asked. I seriously question the failure to ship a queen. I've shipped queens a few times with USPS and had zero problems.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

  14. #33
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lowell IN
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Iíve had a similar bad customer from Mann Lake also. Iíll never buy from them again. Too many other options to put up with that.

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ridgeville, SC, USA
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Come on Tenbears you know better. You know how tough the bee business is. I like Mann lake and never had a problem they didn't resolve. I have never met Jim Lyon either but if had read his posts for years and find him to be very helpful and believe him to be a man of high character. Cool down when the dust settles it wont be so bad. You accepted the risks when you bought the packages .

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pepperell, MA.
    Posts
    6,095

    Default Re: Mann lake SUCKS bigtime

    Doing the following:

    - Moving this to "Consumer Report"
    - Changing the title to conform to the rules of the sub-forum
    - Asking posters to be careful about getting personal

    It doesn't really belong in "Equipment and Hardware" so moving it seems logical. Please stay on track re: Mann Lake and any experiences with them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Mann Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    Come on Tenbears you know better. You know how tough the bee business is. I like Mann lake and never had a problem they didn't resolve. I have never met Jim Lyon either but if had read his posts for years and find him to be very helpful and believe him to be a man of high character. Cool down when the dust settles it wont be so bad. You accepted the risks when you bought the packages .
    Exactly right the bee business it difficult. So why should our suppliers be able to make it more difficult. As a member of the legal community I do Know one thing. When you sell and represent something in any manner, it better be what you say. Mann lake represents their packages as 3 pounds of bees, with a newly bred queen. I have bought bees from Mann lake Wilkes Barre in the past, and know that queen failure is high among their packages. Loosing a queen here and there is part of the game. However, a non laying queen that is still in the hive seems to be another story. It seems that it does not constitute a newly bred queen. A few years ago I bought 25 packages from Mann Lake. Introduced them into hive which had at least 3 drawn frames in them. Followed normal prodigal of releasing the queens as recommended by Mann lake. Of the 25 packages 11 queens failed 4 were dead when I went to pull the cork, 2 were found dead in the bottom of the hive on first inspection. and the other 5 were never found. Now I do not profess to be an expert bee keeper, I as well will be the first to admit that I am fallible. But nearly 50% seems a bit high I called Mann Lake Wilkes Barre, and was met with a rather obstinate rude lady who had absolutely no interest in helping me out in any way shape or form. I called Olivarez Honey Bees on Orland Ca. who was Nice enough to provide a health certificate with their information with the bees. and explained the situation I told them I was willing to take responsibility for 1/2 of the queens but I felt there was more in play here than simply my bad luck and poor beekeeping skills. They told me they did not understand Mann Lakes reluctance to supply me with new queens as they send a surplus with the packages. In any event they would send me new queens. They sent me 12 queens, shipped them overnight and charged me nothing.


    Mann Lake could have easily done the very same thing. but chose not too! For me this happened early on in my beekeeping. so I cannot say how Mann Lake is or is not on other aspects, I went to Kelly Bee right away, and began buying bees from Rossman Apiaries

    We all Have our pet peeves, I have seen people spend thousands of dollars on unrecoverable suits just to prove a point. Most often it is to say "I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •