Best way to remove labels from bottles

Default Best way to remove labels from bottles

I have a number of empty jars with labels that I would like to replace with a newer format.... Is there an easy way to cleanly remove the old labels?

Mods please move this to the appropriate sub forum if not appropriate here..... ;- )
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best way to remove labels from bottles

Some will soak off in a sink of warm water. If not it's a razor blade in a holder and Goo Gone for me. A good holder makes it lots easier and safer, use extreme caution on placement of your hands, the razorblade does "slip" quite violently.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Eikel! Will give that a try maybe with a touch of dishwashing soap.... ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

If you have a heat gun, you can warm the glass from the inside and the label should peel right off with the adhesive still attached. You can use pretty high heat if you keep the heat gun moving. Just peel slowly enough so the label doesn't tear. It might take a couple of labels to get the process down.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove View Post
    If you have a heat gun, you can warm the glass from the inside and the label should peel right off with the adhesive still attached. You can use pretty high heat if you keep the heat gun moving. Just peel slowly enough so the label doesn't tear. It might take a couple of labels to get the process down.
    Thanks! Will give that a try!
    Seaside Apiaries

Oxy clean (green container) works well on wine bottles inside and out. Lots of different glue types.

Thanks guys, I've got a couple more methods to try.

Bob J, if you do try the razor blade and have trouble holding the jar or keeping your hands out of danger, you might look up a woodworking bench hook. It's simply three pieces of scrap wood assembled with a piece on the bottom to catch the edge of you counter/work bench and one on top that you can push/work against.

Bench Hook.jpg
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Oxy clean (green container) works well on wine bottles inside and out. Lots of different glue types.
    Thanks! I think I sense an experiment coming on.... Might be interesting to try each technique and see which is easiest.... ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    Thanks guys, I've got a couple more methods to try.

Bob J, if you do try the razor blade and have trouble holding the jar or keeping your hands out of danger, you might look up a woodworking bench hook. It's simply three pieces of scrap wood assembled with a piece on the bottom to catch the edge of you counter/work bench and one on top that you can push/work against.

Bench Hook.jpg
    Thanks! This does seem a safer approach...... ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries

Depends on glue and label material. My labels are kraft paper from peel and stick sheets. I find if I warm the bottle the glue gets stickier. If I cool the bottle the glue gets brittle and I can peel it off. What does't come off with the peel usually can be rubbed or scraped off.
    Regards Peter
    Ottawa. ON

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Depends on glue and label material. My labels are kraft paper from peel and stick sheets. I find if I warm the bottle the glue gets stickier. If I cool the bottle the glue gets brittle and I can peel it off. What does't come off with the peel usually can be rubbed or scraped off.
    Regards Peter
    Thanks Peter!
    Seaside Apiaries

you might look up a woodworking bench hook. It's simply three pieces of scrap wood assembled with a piece on the bottom to catch the edge of you counter/work bench and one on top that you can push/work against.

Bench Hook.jpg
    Great general idea for a variety of projects!
    Did not occur to me.
    Appreciated.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Well Bob, your homework for the weekend is to try all the different methods and provide us a synopsis on the easiest method. LOL

When removing labels from beer bottles (home-brewer re-use) I found oxy-clean (mentioned above in post #6) to be a great help. For most beer labels, one can just soak the bottles in warm water for an hour or overnight with oxy-clean and they fall off when pulled from the water. Some impermeable labels (nothing wrong with the contents) don't get loosened. But I haven't tried removing the sticky-glue binder that many honey labels use, so don't know how to do them best. But if you get into trouble with residue, I find goo-gone to be very helpful. Actually, come to think of it, any citrus-oil based de-stickifier should help with pulling those labels. I don't know how a random plastic container underneath will respond. But when scraping labels off glass bottles, the goo-gone/orange-oil preparations work great to remove residual glue.

Michael
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

If the label and glue does not come off from soaking in soap and water, I rub vegetable oil over the the remaining label or glue. Let sit a few hours or over night. Most of the time it will come right off with the help of a dish scrubber.

Well Bob, your homework for the weekend is to try all the different methods and provide us a synopsis on the easiest method. LOL
    On it! ;- )
    Seaside Apiaries