Walk away split from single deep - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Walk away split from single deep

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    I'm looking to split my single-deep hive which is jam-packed with bees (and which I just supered with a honey super to avoid swarming). I'd rather split the hive than have honey this year, and according to a local beekeepers facebook group I'm on, there's still about a month of time left to start successful splits (most people around here stop splitting in mid-July). I've been doing a lot of reading, but most instructions I find assume you are running a double-brood hive, and/or have drawn frames (this is my first hive, so I don't have any extra drawn frames yet). I was wondering if this was a reasonable approach:

1. Transfer 4 of the frames from my current hive into a new hive box, bees and all, making sure to get at least one frame with eggs or very young larva, one of capped brood, and at least one frame packed with resources.
    2. Place brood frames in the middle, resources next to that, and undrawn foundation on the outside
    3. Shake in an extra frame of bees & close up the new hive
    4. Reorganize the old hive with frames of brood in the middle, resources next to that, and undrawn frames on the outside
    5. Reduce the entrance on both hives, and add a hive-top feeder to both hives
    6. Check the new hive in 4 weeks for eggs/young larva/queen

I think everything else is good to go - I've got drones in my hive, night time temps are above 15C (60F), and there is a lot of pollen coming in.

Is this a reasonable approach?
    I think so

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You are right on track with your split. Try new techniques and things. Don’t be too cautious about deciding to split. This is supposed to be fun. Just remember to check for Varroa mites and if you have to-hang some 6 week treatments of Apivar strips 1 per 5- frames in the center of the brood nest. Please be vigilant in testing for those critters. I treated with some Oxcylic acid last fall but still lost all my bees, 15 colonies to varroa. The battery went dead and I have nobody to blame but myself. I just did my second round of splits and I’m back and the bees are back. Megabee powder and Thymol medication is on order along with the patty feeding after the nectar flow. Best to you and bees 🐝🐝🐝 keep them healthy. I can’t stress enough to Moniter for mites.

Why don't you add a hive body, pull four mixed brood capped and uncapped up to new H-body. Add pollen frame to either side and partially started honey or mixed honey and pollen to outer sides and then fill in remaining foundation frames at outer side.

Now below you should bulk up the remaining brood frames with a single foundation frame in the middle. With what is left of frames, if pollen is available use those to each side of brood and then add drawn out frames first if available and fill in the rest with foundation.

Wait two weeks and then split colony so that the queen-right portion goes to new site(could remain close to original site) be certain that young brood and eggs will be a portion of what remains at the old site.

You will have a laying queen in 28 days for sure and could be sooner.

This effort will stop swarming and give you more force to each hive moving forward.

After splitting and harvesting the new laying queen, you can aid her support troops by adding a capped brood frame that will emerge in a few days. Wallah! Your done.

Just resuscitating my old thread to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I did a flyback split, more-or-less as I wrote out in post #14. Last night I inspected the hive and found a brand-new queen. She's not laying yet (she should start somewhere between Friday and Monday, depending on how old the egg is the hive turned into the queen), but she's there and she looks healthy!

Now all I have to do is move the hive back to my hive stand...

thanks again!

Congrats sui. It's great when everything works out isn't it? J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12