hive with NO POLLEN!!!!!!!!!!

Default hive with NO POLLEN!!!!!!!!!!

i started a hive about 3 weeks ago they have more then enough bees to be bring in honey, queens laying eggs some larva some capped brood. but no pollen stores at all . in a 2 deep hive i seen 2 cells that had pollen . never seen this before i did give them 1/2 of a pollen patty. but i don't understand the no pollen ??? has any 1 see this before ? what could be wrong??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: hive with NO POLLEN!!!!!!!!!!

there's nothing blooming for the bees to collect pollen from or there using it as fast as it's coming in. May want to order some pollen sub. Do you have SHB in your area? If so and you use patty's - give them small portions that they can use in a couple of days. I used patty's and their SHB magnets. Look at the entrance of the hive - do you see any pollen coming in?

During periods of heavy brooding bees will use every bit of pollen as it hits the door. Once the foraging population gets larger and/or the brooding slows.....they'll get around to storing some.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

You didn't say how you started the hive but I would guess you dont have many foragers yet. I would put in small pieces of pollen patty and get some syrup on the hive as well. I am a big proponent of feeding new hives and splits well to get them off on the right foot. I am starting open feeding of pollen sub today on my own hives. The nucs all have 1/4 of a patty in them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Watch the hive entrance. I am sure they are bringing in pollen but they are using it all. I didn't see pollen stores until next year in my new hives.

In a growing and expanding hive on foundation you often don't see a whole lot of surplus pollen and or even honey. In my area a huge surplus of pollen is made in early spring...after that pollen doeant seem to be as plentiful and is used pretty much right away.