Too late for nucs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too late for nucs?

Just from what I read here most of you that ordered nucs last year for this spring have received them. The guy I bought mine from says they are still not ready yet. What? Am I being too unreasonable to think I should have had them by now? The rest of my bees are going like gangbusters and the flow here in Ohio seems great and it is the middle of June. Would you wait or ask for your money back? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Too late for nucs?

>> Would you wait or ask for your money back?

Well, what are your other options for buying nucs? Are there other nuc vendors in your area able to deliver?

Or, you could conceivably create your own 'nucs' by splitting some of your gangbuster hives and adding a purchased queen.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Sounds like he may be making nucs fro swarm cells instead of only taking orders for what he had. Look into doing your own split.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Another Ohio guy here. I’ve successfully kept a swarm caught mid July of 2016 and still have it now and it’s a gang buster hive filling it’s 3rd super currently, I would think a nuc in June would have far better odds than that swarm I caught. Do you have extra frames of drawn comb to help them build up quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by loghousebees View Post
    The guy I bought mine from says they are still not ready yet. What? .
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    I myself will be creating nucs in early July in about 3 weeks (for my own use; in my own area).
    This is exactly what I want.
    Probably nothing wrong with late June/early July nucs (in Ohio).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

pretty late delivery if you ask me. i bet he had some kind of something go wrong with his first round of nucs. hope you didnt pay for an overwintered one, cause that aint what your getting.

In my area they will soon struggle. It's less than ideal. No supplier should have issues producing nucs right after May. It's the early nucs and packages that are challenging.

If you're putting them on foundation I probably would wait until next year. If you have 5-10 combs for them might not be so bad. A nuc late in the season just isn't worth as much, less potential and still have to bear the burden of overwintering.

Why are they late? How late are they? In Louisvie I made 22 nucs by April 17th. They're now on their 3rd deep. Ide ask for my money back. Split your own hives with bought queens.

Nucs late in the season arnt worth as much IMO. You've lost the "potential' of the season. Less honey, less comb, less growth and still have to bear the burden of overwintering. If you have 5-10 extra combs maybe not so bad. Foundation ide pass.

loghousebees,

Something is not adding up. Especially considering the robust condition of your current hives. When did he suggest they would be ready when you ordered them? Did you order the nucs late? Maybe at the bottom of the list? If not, I would suggest requesting a refund and spending that money on mated queens and putting together some small splits from your existing hives.

I had some overwintered nucs that I've already put into production equipment. A couple nucs I have already split and installed purchased queens in them weeks ago. You only have a few more weeks of a good flow, then we'll be getting into the summer dearth. It's not too late to do some splits and help them along this summer, but spending money on nucs this late in Ohio is wasted money, in my opinion anyway.
    To everything there is a season....

They were supposed to be survivor stock that had overwintered successfully here in Ohio. A Carniolan that was also successfully laying was to be the queen. I have been thinking about splitting a couple of my hives maybe trying Mel Disselkoen's technique for creating queen cells. I think I will ask for my money back. Thanks for all your help guys.

Survivor nuc would have been ready at the end of winter. I can't think of a reason for survivor nucs not to be in full swing right now. Sounds like the nuc died and he is trying to make more nucs from a survivor queen. Possibly fine if he did that at the start of the season. Doesn't add up.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

If you want the bees, it isn't unreasonable to try to negotiate something off the price because they're late, or something extra into the nuc. Perhaps that last frame that's often foundation could be food or brood instead.
    Bill

There could be several reasons the nucs are not ready yet. None that favor the buyer. If the nuc truly is not ready yet, and has not had resources pulled from it you don't want it.

It could be a good nuc but they have been pulling frames of brood from it to make up more nucs. There is no advantage to an overwintered queen ion mid-June.

I have packages from late March that have already filled a deep super.

I would be looking for a refund. If you already have a hive or two buy some queens and make your own nucs next month to overwinter.

Tom

Liar Liar Pants on Fire.

Also in ohio here and same problem the guy told me he is 3 to 4 weeks behind on nucs and won't be ready till July suppose to of received first week of may early June i wonder if it's the same person iam not to happy eather first time buying a nuc may never do it again

Quote Originally Posted by loghousebees View Post
    They were supposed to be survivor stock that had overwintered successfully here in Ohio.
    If they are 'survivor stock' that wintered, and not ready by now, you dont want them anyways. Even if they are a wintered 'survivor' unit, if they aren't ready to deliver at nuc size by this time of the season I would posit that bees that dont build up in the spring have no value.

Seriously I would demand my money back. Bees in the spring are worth so much more than early summer. I had an early russian package that is now three medium sized hives.

Summer nucs now are NEXT YEAR'S over wintered nucs. At least here in Virginia. Starting to stockpile sugar to keep the girls fed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hey guys I have about 20 to 25 nucs not ready yet, do you think I should just chuck them into the creek? They are from my own bees and from queens grafted from my best bees, the last cells placed into the nucs on 5/23. I sell them very cheap and people who want my bees will wait for them and if they prefer southern packages or nucs thats also OK with me. I normally move them when they have 4 frames of brood and are very strong and it takes a little time for them to build up like that. Not quite like nucs I bought about 8 years ago which consisted of a bunch of bees with a queen in a cage and a frame with brood about the size of a quarter on both sides of a frame, so buyer beware.
    Johno

Johno, I am making nucs like crazy myself, just 40 miles from you. They will be for personal use now, or for sale next year as overwintered nucs. I think there is a difference between a spring nuc promised in the spring but delivered in mid summer and a summer nuc that may get overwintered or sold as a summer nuc to someone who has no expectations of rapid growth. JMHO.

If you are going to pitch them all in a creek, let me know which one so I can get them before they all drown
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast