Queen Timing - Fast Bees

Default Queen Timing - Fast Bees

Hi All,
    Tried my first attempt at grafting this past Saturday. Attempted 12 JZBZ cells and the bees have accepted 5 of them.
    I checked them yesterday and they have already capped over and closed up the cells.
    So in 3 days they closed the cells up, the calendar I have says they typically close cells on the 5th day not the 3rd.
    I understand they operate on their schedule and not on what I read on the internet but does this mean that the queens may hatch a few days ahead of schedule ? or does this point our some problem I don't know about ?

JOHN

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Timing - Fast Bees

They cap based on the maturity of the larvae. Maybe try smaller next time. It will still be 8 days from capped to emerging.

I agree with John. You grafted larvae that were probably too old to make good queens. If you can see them easily without magnification, they are too old. Lauri posted some pictures about a month ago of what a 1 day old larva looks like.

They are tiny.

Oh, and the larvae I grafted Sunday are nowhere near ready to be capped as of last night. They were just about the size of a house fly maggot or smaller.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 06-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Two old, pinch them and try again.

i agree with the early capping = poor larvae. That may also be why you only had 5 accepted out of 12. Regardless, that is a poor take. usually when i have that happen its primarily a cell builder issue with issues like weather sometimes impacting success also.
    even if the cells looked decent and were capped on day 4, with only 5 accepted I'd normally start from scratch

I agree with the above... too old.

Be aware that you can sometimes go too young as well. My wife is incredible with a grafting tool and I've seen her pull out <30 minute old larvae that were accepted.

Thanks for the knowledge everyone, Ill start over in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Peal View Post
    I agree with the above... too old.

Be aware that you can sometimes go too young as well. My wife is incredible with a grafting tool and I've seen her pull out <30 minute old larvae that were accepted.
    This, I have better luck with 6-12 hour, I tried fresh hatch, but far fewer were accepted (i think im damaging them?), no noticeable difference in the queens either
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens