Brushy Mountain Plastic NUC Feeder (top feeder) Disapointment.

Default Brushy Mountain Plastic NUC Feeder (top feeder) Disapointment.

I try to use top feeders to minimize the robbing problems that seem to come with entrance feeders. Needing a feeder for a five frame NUC, the N423 Plastic Nuc Feeder from Brushy Mountain looked just like the type of feeder I wanted. Ordered, delivered, and stored, ready for a split.

Time to use the Nuc, frames moved, queen set up, closing up and what???? I set the feeder on top of the woodenware and tried to cover it with a 5 frame medium and it won't fit!!
    NUC01.jpg
    The inside length dimension on my woodenware is 18 3/8 inches. The length of the feeder is !! 18 7/8 inches !! This feeder it too long to cover with standard woodenware!
    NUC03.jpg

Possibly this is not how this feeder is designed to be used, but this is how I expected it to be used.

I opened a case with Brushy Mountain asking them to either explain how this feeder is supposed to be used or to provide a refund. They closed the case without any explanation to me.

What do you think? Is this a design error or do I just not understand how to use this feeder?

Glen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Brushy Mountain Plastic NUC Feeder (top feeder) Disapointment.

Standard 'length for wood hive bodies is 19 7/8" outside dimension. Subtract 2*0.75" for the thickness of the wood, and the interior length should be 19.875" - 1.5" = 18.375 = 18 3/8". Those dimensions are from the Beesource plan set here:
    https://www.beesource.com/wordpress/w...s/10frlang.pdf

So your woodenware dimensions appear to be correct.
    The length of the feeder is !! 18 7/8 inches !!
    What points on the feeder are you measuring from? The outside of the raised portion?

For general reference, here is the Brushy product page for the 10 frame version. I linked this page as it has a better description than the nuc version.
    https://www.brushymountainbeefarm.co...ive-Top-Feeder

P.S. I moved this thread out of the Consumer Reports forum as the OP invited responses, and the CR forum is supposed to be restricted to first-hand experience in replies.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

As far as I know, nobody makes a good nuc sized top feeder. Being cheap, I simply cut a 3" hole in my inner covers, stapled a piece of hardware cloth underneath, and use an inverted mason jar feeder. Works real well and I have lots of mason jars.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have 5 non-standard 6-frame dcoates style nucs. For a small nuc I just put a 2nd box on turned upside down with 1 or 2 jars resting on 2 sticks on top bars. Usually only feed in fall if I plan to over winter them or I pull a honey frame another hive.

I also just put an empty box on top the inner cover and use mason jars on sticks. I also will put a honey frame above the inner cover too. Scratch it up so they work the honey . Works in a pinch and you gain a nice frame for the queen to start laying in. I also use Mann Lake frame feeders and they work well too. The 1 gallon one take up one frame space

I used the Brushy Mountain nuc feeders and ran into the same issue you described. I built standard sized nuc boxes only to find out the feeders didn't fit. To get them to fit, I routed out the boxes so that the wall thickness was about 1/4 inch about 1 inch tall. It was enough to fit the nuc boxes although the 1/4 thick wood would not allow fastening the feeder to the box. It was a tight enough fit that fastening wasn't necessary.

I made my own this yr out of scrape plywood . Just cut 2 mason jar size circular hole and cover with no 8 mesh, paint, place on an empty hive body . No robbing what so ever
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

I’ve been using a similar one for several years. Hive boxes don’t fit around them. So what? The bees glue them down. I’ve had 60 mile per hour winds blow the tops off but the feeders stay. It has never been a problem.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I may be in the minority here, but I like things to fit together. I don't mind mismatched paint, but that feeder would bother me.

After seeing the ad for it my expectation would be that it would fit.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Never ever will I buy a feeder I'm to cheep. I think bees are suppose to feed themselves.. Now if I take to much honey I will give them sugar syrup so they don't starve during winter then I use empty peanut butter containers, drill holes in the lid upturned on the frames.

Are there other vendors that sell nuc top feeder insets besides Brushy Mountain? I like top feeders because they fill quickly with no chance of leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Standard 'length for wood hive bodies is 19 7/8" outside dimension. Subtract 2*0.75" for the thickness of the wood, and the interior length should be 19.875" - 1.5" = 18.375 = 18 3/8". Those dimensions are from the Beesource plan set here:
    https://www.beesource.com/wordpress/w...s/10frlang.pdf

So your woodenware dimensions appear to be correct.

What points on the feeder are you measuring from? The outside of the raised portion?

For general reference, here is the Brushy product page for the 10 frame version. I linked this page as it has a better description than the nuc version.
    https://www.brushymountainbeefarm.co...ive-Top-Feeder
    My 18 7/8 measurement is at the width of the raised portion of the feeder. There is no way that this can be "placed inside an empty super" as is proposed in the 10 frame version description. The photo in my original post shows how well that works. ERICWELLER seems to have encountered the same issue.

Glen

What reason would you have for placing an empty super on top of the top feeder? Just put the feeder on your nuc, fill it, and put your nuc lid on the feeder with a brick on top. Works with either a migratory top or a telescoping top minus an inner cover. Did it many times when I had those feeders. If you must have a top feeder for a nuc that you can stack another box on for some reason, get a miller feeder from Miller Bee Supply in NC.

I tried the Brushy Mountain NUC top feeder as well. When I put it on top of the Brushy Mtn five frame NUC, there was not room for the bees to climb up into the feeder. I had no idea why other than to suspect they had some sort of design flaw. Thanks for posting, seems like they'd have fixed it by now. My experiment must have been 5 years ago--at least.

Oh yeah. the reason I used the second five frame box on top, was because I had no other way to cover it. If I used bothe five frame boxes for bee space I could not use the feeder anyhow. Its been sitting on a shelf since i used it that one time.

Itd be nice if they'd make good on these feeders but I guess they are no different than most other businesses these days.

I never have that problem. My woodenware works great. I really like those feeders. I even cut the "wings" back and put two on my resource hive. HotnucinJune.jpg

I mostly use medium frame feeders now, even for nucs (two double wide Mann Lake Pro Frame feeders fit a nuc nicely).

I made a few of these four years ago.

innercoverfdr.png

They are made from 3/4" lumber and the round hole fits a mason jar lid and it has #8 hardware cloth on it. 3/4" side strips are stapled on. It can sit over the hole in an inner cover with a box over it. The jar is offset to it doesn't drip down on the frames. The jar can be changed without letting bees out. They work for all size hives. They are easy to make with minimal tools.
    Zone 6B

OK, Brushy Mountain did right by me on this feeder. Refunded the cost of the feeder and shipping costs without an argument.

Their Customer Service has surprised me a couple of times. It is easy to be one of their customers.

Glen