Bee Indentification

Default Bee Indentification

Hi,

I was hoping someone could confirm for me what type of bee this is and if there is any way to persuade them to leave my lawn, if not, I will leave them alone as I don't want to harm them, but I do have young children. From limited research, I think they are the Metallic Green Bee, but what I've read tells me they are solitary bees, which these don't seem to be. I have a video of them, below.

https://streamable.com/uvr9h

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Indentification

Welcome to Beesource!

I'm not an expert on 'native bees', but from what I can see, your identification may be correct. "Solitary bees" doesn't mean that each bee lives by itself, rather that there is no "queen bee" as there is with honey bees. In solitary bees, each female is fertile, so there is no 'queen'. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee#So..._communal_bees

If you do not wish to harm them, its unlikely that you can get them to move.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I believe those are sweat bees. The females do sting but the males do not.

Dudelt is 100% correct sweat bees with out a doubt!

A ground nesting bee with vivid stripes on the abdomen looks more like a squash bee. Great pollinators! Your lucky to have them in your yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WobQObH4oDE

Looks like a Agapostemon virescens (Bicolored Striped-Sweat bee)
    http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?s...irescens#Hosts
    https://bugguide.net/node/view/21858

I would have guessed a wasp by the defensiveness of them.

Thank you all. And based in this, I will leave them alone and manage the children instead. I've already had the children sitting next to the area watching them in fascination.

The skunk on the other hand, that chose to spray outside our open bedroom window last night, I may have other plans for.

Actually, a follow up question, is it likely I will get them year on year in the same place or are they likely to move?

I could make the dead patch of grass into a feature and protect it if they stay.

First let me say, I am not an expert. I do not know these bees. I just took the identification challenge.
    Like I said I would have thought they were wasps by their defensive behavior.

I would try to find someone local that maybe more knowledgeable about them. Try you local county extension office if you have one.

These bees were uneasy about you being near their nesting sites. That is something to be aware of when you or your children are watching them. Especially if Mr. Skunk came by last night to eat them and got them agitated. Sounds like he may have paid the price and got stung for it.

If you or you kids are going to watch them, move slow just be aware of how they react an know when to back off and leave.

[QUOTE=MJC417;1643683]A ground nesting bee with vivid stripes on the abdomen looks more like a squash bee. Great pollinators! Your lucky to have them in your yard.

Sweat bees have stripes also. I'm very familiar with sweat bees have seen them countless numbers of times through out my life. I've been stung a number of times by sweat bees, their sting is not near as painful as a honey bee that's for sure. Getting in their flight path, vibration from a lawn mower, or casting a shadow over their nest will get you stung.

Please help identify and why do they make their house in a pot?
    beesm.jpg
    Beehivesm.jpg

I believe they are Ligwan bencan.