Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kirksville, Missouri USA
    Posts
    1,753

    Default Re: Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now?

    90% mating success is pretty good. Did you see any cleaned out patches of cells in the remaining 10%. I have had small amounts of splits, 5-6, with from 100% to 60% success. It is always a very satisfying thing to see that first patch of brood from a new queen.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sacramento County, CA
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now?

    Daniel,

    I am not sure about the cleaned out patches of cells. I will need to ask my wife as she was the one catching and marking the queens. She also produced written documentation for each nuc in regards to bee counts, egg counts, larvae counts, and overall condition of the colony.

    What exactly is cleaned out patches of cells? Are you referring to areas where the brood has already emerged and the bees have cleaned these out for the queen to lay eggs?

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kirksville, Missouri USA
    Posts
    1,753

    Default Re: Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now?

    No big deal Soar, but I often find several combs adjacent from each other having areas of cells all polished up waiting for the queen if I look too early. It's just sign the queen is just about to start laying. With brood still present you may not see distinct areas like that.

    Congrats on the good success.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now?

    Oops, posted in the wrong thread.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sacramento County, CA
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Massive, colossal nuc failure. What are our options now?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    No big deal Soar, but I often find several combs adjacent from each other having areas of cells all polished up waiting for the queen if I look too early. It's just sign the queen is just about to start laying. With brood still present you may not see distinct areas like that.

    Congrats on the good success.
    Daniel,

    No problem!

    We added a new sealed queen cell to less than 5% of the nucs. All the other nucs are doing well with laying queens, eggs, and larvae. So, I feel overall we were quite successful. Each of the nucs with the fresh/new sealed queen cell had eggs and larvae but we could not find the queen. So, if the queen is there, she will kill the larvae in the sealed queen cell. If there is no queen, then we should be good to go.

    We had a painted queen fly away on us this morning. This was the first time it has ever occurred here. So now I know how that feels too.

    Last, we took down one of our swarms that we had captured 6-8 weeks ago. It had grown so large that there were massive clusters of bees on the outside of the swarm trap. We tore into it this morning and much to our surprise and delight, we found over 12 sealed queen swarm cells! So we made up a bunch more nucs and loaded them with sealed swarm cells.

    Big thank you again to JRG for showing me how to cut our swarm cells last spring and place them in new nucs! Thanks JRG!!!

    We still have three more swarms we need to transfer into boxes...just can't find the time right now...today, we will use our airless to spray massive numbers of newly built boxes, covers, and SSB's. Hoping to prime, then apply coat one, then final coat all in one day...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •