We recently made up a batch of nearly 50 nucs. I followed instructions to the tee...and experienced a colossal failure. So obviously I did something terribly wrong.
We are trying to salvage what is left. Not sure what our options are...
Came here looking for help again.
Here is what I did and here is what we have left:
What we did:
1. Raised 50+ queens and had all in sealed queen cells.
2. Made up 50 or so nucs: in each nuc we installed 2 frames of honey, one frame of sealed brood and some eggs, installed queen cells [my thinking was if the queen cell failed, the bees would raise their own queen].
3. Left all nucs for two weeks. Opened each one today and experienced super disappointment. Out of 50 nucs, less than 5 laying queens.
What we have left:
1. 45 nucs with lots of bees but no queens, no eggs, no larvae.
2. Two hearts that are deeply broken.
3. Much less confidence.
4. A dash of hopeless and despair.
5. A fresh new level of humility.
Ok, please give us some hope if it is at all possible. I know there are various options...just not sure which way to go...just don't want 45 nucs with all the bees dying.
We do have about 60 strong colonies that are available for assistance.