Hive registration NYS at it again... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hive registration NYS at it again...

One thing people in other states do not realize if you register and have to pay NY will give you nothing in return. NY State takes they never give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I think it is Britton that does not let you keep chickens unless they are completely caged so that no wild bird can mingle with the chicken. I understand the rule and believe that it probably keeps the chickens from getting disease transferred to them from wild birds. I am sure it works and so must be a good ideal. I do have to admit that I do not keep my chickens like that. Things can be good and bad at the same time.
    gww
    zone 5b

If you think about it stopping packages and transported bees would eliminate most of the bee related problems. That's never going to happen. So what will be solved? Being taxed to keep bees with next to nothing in return. NYS will take it to the max undoubtedly. Will shortly have some sort of limitations on selling and special inspections in order to do so. There has been lots of research and it's not really led to much of value in solving the big issues.

The perspective of Cornell regarding beekeeper registration:

https://pollinator.cals.cornell.edu/...rk%20State.pdf
    Last edited by clyderoad; 06-13-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: correct link

The perspective of Cornell regarding beekeeper registration:

https://pollinator.cals.cornell.edu/...rk%20State.pdf

Interesting Cornell with all of its resources can't figure out how to get sample data of hive loses with out supporting Manditory registration. I'm pretty sure i could figure out how to easily scrape together 5 bee keeps in each county in the state in an afternoon or to...

Quote Originally Posted by Boardrida20 View Post
    Interesting Cornell with all of its resources can't figure out how to get sample data of hive loses with out supporting Manditory registration. I'm pretty sure i could figure out how to easily scrape together 5 bee keeps in each county in the state in an afternoon or to...
    they have the email address's of all the people that have taken bee classes there, but they haven't used that yet.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I have to add to this.

I am appalled at the way mandatory registration has been "handled".
    I am a fairly new member of the Apiary Industry Advisory Committee (AIAC), a lone voice speaking out against a "bloc" of beekeepers from the Empire State Honey Producers (ESHPA), I am not a member of ESHPA.

For the past 3 meetings of the AIAC. I have stated to the Ag Commisioner that most beekeepers did not want mandatory registration and that services should be provided to beekeepers who have already VOLUNTARILY registered, services such as AFB notification in real time, mosquito spraying, etc, info which Albany has.There is a registration form on the NYS Ag & Mkts website. I have asked Paul Cappy to send me the number of beekeepers who have registered over the past 10 years.

Beekeepers repealed the mandatory legislation law in 2010.

A few weeks ago when someone found out there was a Bill in the legislature, people were alarmed, and looked to find out "who started this bill", "who's behind it?.

Both ESHPA and Cornell denied involvement. The best info was that a lobbyist from an environmental group, with no ties to a beekeeping group, initiated it. He would not divulge which beekeepers he associated with but did say he contacted Cornell.

The sponsors of the Bill in both the Senate and Assembly were surprised that there was such opposition to this beekeeper registration Bill. Why were they surprised?
    Both sponsors of the Bill had consulted with representatives of the Empire State Honey Producers and assured that the Bill was OK.

So, there appears to be an attempt to conceal this Bill from public knowledge by several entities. This is troubling because there is no input except from a small tight knit group who make the decisions in private, then using powerful means to foist them on the rest of us. These are the people who will be tasked with the Rule Making Process for the Mandatory Registration, which the Ag Commissioner has set into the planning stage. This is completely independent of the Bill, and the next "issue". Yes, fees will be discussed.
    This group has provided misinformation to not only the legislative sponsors of the Bill, but also Cornell, and the Commissioner of Agriculture, and you.

Decisions will be made for you.

This is not how democracy should work, and how our tax dollars should be used.

It is complicated, so I cannot put all the info here.

-Pat Bono

Pat
    I am not from new york.
    I just wanted to say that I appreciate a person who makes his views know with his name attached and reputation attached.
    Good luck
    gww
    Glenn W. Woemmel from Missouri
    zone 5b

Current Bill Status - Stricken

A10362 Actions:

BILL NOA10362A 04/17/2018
    referred to agriculture
    04/24/2018reported referred to ways and means
    06/11/2018amend and recommit to ways and means
    06/11/2018 print number 10362a0
    6/14/2018 enacting clause stricken

http://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_f...ry=Y&Actions=Y

"Enacting clause stricken-
    When the main sponsor of a bill removes their support for the bill and the title has been deleted. Bill is
    considered dead unless another legislator decides to sponsor the bill."

It was withdrawn due to the "controversy". So that ends it until someone decides to try again in January.

Now we have to address the Ag Commissioners Mandatory Registration and the AIAC. which may be a bigger issue.

-Pat Bono
    NY Bee Wellness - recognizing and diagnosing honeybee disease is important to maintaining healthy bee hives

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Same in Vermont. $10/apiary. Cheap enough. Now in NY, I just found large apiaries have moved in next to my apiaries...I've been there 30 years.
    Who moved in, Michael?

mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by jbhollister View Post
    Who moved in, Michael?
    A couple operations. Both winter in Florida. One from Chateauguay moved in within a half mile. They may not have known my apiaries are where they are. That's part of my issue with no registration.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I think it is Britton that does not let you keep chickens unless they are completely caged so that no wild bird can mingle with the chicken. I understand the rule and believe that it probably keeps the chickens from getting disease transferred to them from wild birds. I am sure it works and so must be a good ideal. I do have to admit that I do not keep my chickens like that. Things can be good and bad at the same time.
    gww
    Do you mean Britain (?) - if so, then this is not the norm. It's an emergency measure which is taken from time to time, whenever there's a Bird Flu alert in force. But, now that Bird Flu is considered to be a regular potential risk, food and water must now always be kept such that wild birds cannot gain access to them, flocks of more than 50 birds have to be registered, and the reporting of sick and unexplained deaths is now mandatory at all times.
    Very different from when I used to keep poultry (Marans).
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

LJ
    Do you mean Britain (?)
    This is what I meant and shows that I am truly almost illiterate.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    A couple operations. Both winter in Florida. One from Chateauguay moved in within a half mile. They may not have known my apiaries are where they are. That's part of my issue with no registration.
    but the NEW registration isn't for public knowledge, only for Cornell to monitor the situation, so no help here.
    mike syracuse ny

At least in Vermont, we have a State map of all registered locations...color co-ordinated by size of apiary. Name of owner isn't published, but at least everyone knows about where the apiaries are located.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    but the NEW registration isn't for public knowledge, only for Cornell to monitor the situation, so no help here.
    You don't know that because it hasn't been created yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    LJ

This is what I meant and shows that I am truly almost illiterate.
    Cheers
    gww
    LOL ! I was just checking, 'cause so many place-names in The States are either direct 'copies' (no insult intended) or derivatives of English town and city names ...

There's a little village a few miles from here ('here' being 10 miles west of Boston) called 'New York'. It has one shop, a couple of roads, and maybe a population of a hundred. Just a tad different from it's namesake over the water ...
    'best,
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

LJ
    I have a Japan and a Cuba that are with in a 20 mile circle of me. I did not take it bad cause I really am almost illiterate. I also appreciated your post content as being from someone who's facts were much better then just some thing I read on the internet.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast