Hive registration NYS at it again...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Hive registration NYS at it again...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive registration NYS at it again...

I am unclear why this is taken as a bad thing... when I lived in Wyoming you were supposed to register your apiary... and the state could deny non-land owners the proposed apiary if it was to close to an established apiary. There are some very positive aspects of that... in California where I live now... registration is voluntary (in my county) and what do you get for that? - you are notified by sprayers that they are applying regulated chemicals if it is within a certain distance of your hives.... Again a very positive reason to register your hives/apiaries....

NYS takes what ever opportunity they can to gain revenue while providing next to zero in return. They will only levee registration requirements and yearly fees while providing nothing in return. We pay $20 a year per vehicle to our insurance company who is obligated to withhold a "law enforcement" fee. Go figure. There will be no investment of any value to beekeeping or the betterment of the bees. It's only an effort to reaffirm that if your living in this state your obligated to abide by it's supreme law. The agenda is to continue creating further conformists. If you read the article you will see that they have already excluded registered owners from their agenda.

the rep and senator that sponsored the bill have now modified it to voluntary.

https://www.syracuse.com/state/index...criticism.html

here is a thread been going on for awhile about it. If the one in the legislature doesn't pass, the one that the AIAC, Ag + markets, and ESHPA have in the wings will most likely be voted in at the next AIAC meeting, do you feel lucky

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...o-be-presented
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Boardrida is correct. Another bureaucracy of NYS government that will provide absolutely no benefit to bees or beekeepers.
    Fees will continue to rise as all do in NYS.

Being a Resident on NYS this is just another way for the "State" to get into our pocketbooks. The BeeKeeper will get little or nothing in a positive sense. More regulation, more hoops to jump through. New York State does not have a good track record in these types of things.

I agree it will have no benefit to beekeepers, but what it will do is start the ball rolling for future rules and regulations. These new rules in the future will most likely include registration, inspection, and of course insurance. This will all be done in the name of safety and bee health since everyone's bees are dying and need to be protected from AFB, diseases and mites, the state needs to step in and help. Don't worry about pesticides, CropLife America, RISE, and Bayer CropScience have that covered in the NYS Pollinator Protection Plan. All the money raised, state, federal and fees from beekeepers will be funneled to useless programs run by friends and family members that are politically connected with little knowledge of bees. It will create jobs with full state pensions and benefits for them. The insurance companies would also require certain rules and regulations with full support from the state to help you protect your bees. If beekeepers do not follow the rules and regulations it will be followed by heavy fines and or removal of your hives. I'm sorry if this sounds pessimistic (to most beekeepers anyway) but this is NYS and it could happen.

Almost forgot, NYS is open for business and loves its licensing. With 1,217 license services, why not add another? NY could eliminate mite bombs and diseases by requiring people to take a class and get a beekeeping license for a fee. Once you get your license with proof of registration and insurance you can go to a certified package and nuc dealer (which also would have a yearly fee attached to it) and pick up your bees.
    Last edited by MJC417; 06-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.

The amendment:

"S8274A (ACTIVE) - Summary
    Relates to developing a beekeeper registry program; provides notification of such program to purchasers of bees and beekeeping equipment so purchasers can voluntarily register."

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s8274

OK, the word VOLUNTARILY was added, but not in the way you were hoping.
    It doesn't address the actual beekeeper registry (Part A), just Purchasers (in Part B).

We already have voluntary registration.
    "The Department of Agriculture and Markets - Division of Plant Industry - has broad authority to investigate and eradicate bee pests and diseases and to control the movement of bees into the state. It is the Division's responsibility to ensure honey bee health through inspection and certification, as well as through education and outreach to beekeepers. To aid the Department in its effort to keep beekeepers apprised of the latest bee health issues we ask that you fill out the Honey Bee Health Information form."

So if NYS AG&Mkts and Cornell can't get enough people to respond, beekeepers are going to be forced to respond and face penalties if they don't?

Beekeepers deserve better.

Note: the AIAC does not vote, members are to advise the Commissioner. Another beekeeper and I advised the Commissioner that mandatory registration is unwanted by many beekeepers and should not be enforced. I did what I could, but no officials heeded my advice.

The bill gives authority for Ag&Mkts to "develop" a registry with the powers already held by law.
    http://nybeewellness.org/resources/nys-apiary-laws/

"Section 175-b. Rules and Regulations.

The commissioner is hereby authorized, after public hearing, to adopt, promulgate, and issue such rules and regulations as he may deem necessary to carry out and give full force and effect to the provisions to this article, including, but not limited to, the designation of species or subspecies of bees determined by him to cause injury, directly or indirectly, to this state’s useful bee population, crops, or other plants. Such rules and regulations shall be filed and open for public inspection at the principal office of the department and shall have the force and effect of law"

Fight the Mite!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>
    but not like this!

-Pat Bono
    Rochester NY

Regulation only leads to more regulation, license schemes, and million ways to make little guy cough up money.

I disagree. Registration can only help...in many ways.

Sorry to disagree Michael. At some point NJ had no state level regulations and each town decided on its own. Then someone thought consolidating stuff at State level and getting rid of town control would actually work for beekeepers. And it did for few years until a disgruntled neighbor and crappy beekeeper took it to State and Politicians got involved. Against all recommendations from beekeeping associations and even State inspector, Politicians marched ahead with ridiculous regulations that would make head spin just for reading.

What this got to do with registration ? The language in some of the proposed regulations suggest they can go after people and fine them, especially now they got a full list of people, yards, number of hives etc.

I like our State apiarist and what he does for the beekeepers, but I (and most beekeepers I know) do not trust Politicians.

Before this all came up I didn't realize that NY had a voluntary beekeeper/apiary registration program in place. Dropped my registration paperwork in the mail yesterday.

Nobody likes a bureaucracy, until they need the benefits of it.

If there was a fee, I'd pay it. I doubt that it would be unaffordable for all but a tiny number of beekeepers, if any. If that helped to underwrite a better-quality, more responsive bee inspector system in NY, I'd consider it money well-spent. Why should the general taxpayers fund the cost of bee inspections?

Vermont seems to have a good system, so I'm not surprised Mike Palmer thinks registration is a good idea. Other states do, too, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel, just look them over and pick the best we can.

I've heard the horror stories and complaints about "the old days" of corrupt bee inspections in NY. But that was then, and this is now.

It's understandable that people don't like to fill out forms and pay fees - but unless you're wealthy enough to own all the foraging area your bees need, we are all sharing the same space. And we need bee inspectors to help keep that foraging area safe and healthy enough for all bees: my bees, your bees, and who knows who else's bees? It's not like we're keeping fish in tank in our darkened living rooms.

Last year when I had EFB in my yard there was no way to quickly notify all the nearby beekeepers to be on the look-out for it in their hives. I didn't find the last beekeeper within my foraging area until well after Labor Day - so her hives were at risk all summer long and she didn't know it. (Thankfully, there was no sign of it when I inspected her hives - nor did I see it in anyone else's yards.) If the shoe had been on the other foot, I would have been much happier to have had a head's up than to remain in the dark about the risks.

Nancy

One advantage of apiary registration is if you sell honey and market it as Raw, Local Honey you can show your customers your certificate which shows the GPS coordinates of your apiary, assuring your customers they are getting the product for which they are paying, not honey shipped in from far away and bottled locally by someone who doesn't own a hive or know squat about bees.

Another advantage here in Arkansas is no one can put a bunch of hives next door to your hives unless they are the landowner.

Best of all, it's free. (So far)

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Another advantage here in Arkansas is no one can put a bunch of hives next door to your hives unless they are the landowner.

Alex
    not in the NY bill, if it was, many more beeks would be for it.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post

Best of all, it's free. (So far)
    Same in Vermont. $10/apiary. Cheap enough. Now in NY, I just found large apiaries have moved in next to my apiaries...I've been there 30 years.

Ohio regulated state. One of the good is helping to find EF and other diseases. The bad is the very head person not doing enough to force the clean up of it. By tying the hands of their senior employees.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Before this all came up I didn't realize that NY had a voluntary beekeeper/apiary registration program in place. Dropped my registration paperwork in the mail yesterday.

Nancy
    that's the way it should be voluntary.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Same in Vermont. $10/apiary. Cheap enough. Now in NY, I just found large apiaries have moved in next to my apiaries...I've been there 30 years.
    happening more and more and really don't see it slowing down.
    mike syracuse ny

As i do believe more good than bad can come from this. Cant help but think the real reason the state wants to do this is for more financial gain than anything. Because bee keeping is becoming more popular the state is capitalizing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    As i do believe more good than bad can come from this. Cant help but think the real reason the state wants to do this is for more financial gain than anything. Because bee keeping is becoming more popular the state is capitalizing on it.
    If you go look at what the towns can tax, two things stand out that they don't currently tax, trees, and beehives.
    mike syracuse ny

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast