Weird mites/bugs in supercedure cell?

Default Weird mites/bugs in supercedure cell?

Today I inspected my big hive with my brother, and I knew my queen was not doing good. The first frame I pull out (in the top box) I see supercedure cells. I thought "good my queen will be replaced". Then another frame, more cells, except this time i saw 1/2 bee sized mites emerging from a supercedure cell. They had a proboscis that was pretty big and were completely white. I watched a bee carry one away, what was it?? And what should I do should I let them (the bees) replace my queen? I know they were supercedure cells because they were on he top half of the frame. I really want to know what those mite looking things were, they kind of look like ticks.?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Weird mites/bugs in supercedure cell?

It may have been a tick or a dead queen bees head, anyway, I see no real threat. But that raises the question still ongoing, what about the supercedure/swarm cells? there are cells at the top of the frame, but also cells at the bottom that can bee swarm cells. The hive is big, beards at night, I have like four swarm traps near my house, and there are not many places to swarm to (besides the swarm boxes). If it swarms I will most likely catch it, and more likey if it supercedures ill let it, what do you think?

If this was me I would make a split with the queen and also get rid of all but two or three queen cells to make a new queen.

The queen hardly lays, so is this really a good approach? Obviously, the bees needed a new queen hence the supercedure cells. Also, there are a couple of swarm cells at the bottom of the frame, but they may just be extra supercedure cells. It is big, but maybe not split big.

The split will let you keep a queen till a new one has emerged and mated. Should the virgin queen fail to make it back from her mating flight you still have a queen that will have new eggs to make new queen cells from.

Well, I do not have an extra deep box and any frames. I do have an empty nuc box. What about just using a queen cage and store bought royal jelly in with a few royal attendants?

Put the queen in the nuc box with the frame she's on and take another frame with bees on it put it in the nuc .those queen cells could be swarm cells .not all swarm cells are on the bottom they can be Anywhere on the frame. The queen maybe slimming down so she can fly and swarm.

Ok, I will do that. Thanks!