How to store honey frames?

Default How to store honey frames?

I have many medium frames that are partially filled with uncapped nectar and our flow has pretty much ended here in Tucson. What is the best way to deal with such frames? Im imagining storing them the way they are could lead to fermentation and/or pest problems. If I wait until the middle of our summer dearth and put the boxes in my open feeding area will the bees cause too much damage to the comb for me to easily reuse them next year? Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to store honey frames?

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonBeek View Post
    I have many medium frames that are partially filled with uncapped nectar and our flow has pretty much ended here in Tucson. What is the best way to deal with such frames? Im imagining storing them the way they are could lead to fermentation and/or pest problems. If I wait until the middle of our summer dearth and put the boxes in my open feeding area will the bees cause too much damage to the comb for me to easily reuse them next year? Any input is much appreciated, thanks!
    Unless there is <20 % uncapped nectar (80+% capped honey) on a frame, I leave them in the box.

Put the frames in one box and put that box at the bottom of the stack. Since the honey is now in the wrong place in the hive, according to the bees, they will move it up to the top of the hive where it belongs and where they can use it. In a couple of weeks, remove the box and store it. It will be cleaned out of all the honey and nectar.

Are the uncapped frames in comb that was already drawn? My bees won't cap honey in comb when the flow stops before the cells are filled. I use a refractometer to verify moisture content and then extract.
    Bruce

I place frames with "whatever" that i have no current use for in an old deep freeze, and pull them out later as good as new!
    Visit my YouTube channel 📺
    🐝 Beek Tools 🐝

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Put the frames in one box and put that box at the bottom of the stack. Since the honey is now in the wrong place in the hive, according to the bees, they will move it up to the top of the hive where it belongs and where they can use it. In a couple of weeks, remove the box and store it. It will be cleaned out of all the honey and nectar.
    Thanks for this idea. Do you ever run in to problems with wax moths with this approach?
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

No, I generally do not have issues with wax moths. I do keep the stored boxes and frames stacked up and fairly closed off to keep the moths away. If most of the frames have white / yellow wax, the moths don't seem to care about them. If the combs are black, you need to be more careful with it. The moths really go for the old brood comb but not the honey supers. I am far more concerned with 4 legged vermin getting in there and setting up a home than I am about wax moths.

You can put them in a box and put them on the hive above the inner cover, they will clean them out with much less damage.

Alright great, thanks for the info everyone!

Thanks for all the helpful information!
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I dry them in my honey room and extract.