Plastic Foundation in modified Dadant (Dadant US)?

Default Plastic Foundation in modified Dadant (Dadant US)?

hi there.
    I am looking for plastic foundation in modified Dadant ("Dadant US") . Size would have to be rather large: 10 1/4" X 16 1/2"...
    I am wondering that even Dadant & sons don't have this size available... Neither Acorn nor Mann's Lake have them that big, too...
    Is there a supplier at all for it? I know Dadant US isn't really that popular, but it seems it is the only frame size for which no plastic foundation is offered. You even find it in exotoc frame sizes, but not for Dadant US. Maybe Dadant US is even more exotic than the other sizes I have found plastic foundation being available for... ;-)
    Anyway. Maybe there is one supplier/ manufacturer offering large sheets such that one can customize and cut them to fit personal preferences?
    Thanks.
    J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Plastic Foundation in modified Dadant (Dadant US)?

I patched together some wired wax deep foundation with filler pieces of unwired wax for the bottom space. With a little fiddling I managed to to get the cell alignment to register fairly well. Way too much trouble but it was a winter project. Have not occupied them yet.

I have seen someone here mention using two medium plastic foundations or two deeps vertically leaving only a small gap that the bees fill. It makes the arrangement of the cells hex system different but have heard that makes no difference to the bees. Dont know how you would do it if you were a Housel Position adherent.

Propolis bee supplies out of Que. Ca. have the jumbo wired wax foundation I believe, but is p r i c e y ! If this hive holds my fancy I think I will try some combination of two sheets of plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

Hi Frank.
    Thank you for your response.
    J

I may be the one crofter mentioned. I made double-deep size sidebars for a double medium frame. The gap is the size of the topbar/bottombar/beespace combination. The double medium box is, well, twice the height of a medium box, because it's two boxes treated as one. My frames are 12-7/8" as I recall, and the Dadant is 11-3/8" or so (2" more than a deep). Look at Fusion_power's "hive designs" thread (showthread.php?327565)
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...88#post1524788
    I (mis)placed a pic of my prototype frame in post 164 of the commercial two-queen colony thread. It was intended to be a nearly stock pieces (special sidebars only) test of the modified Dadant square jumbo in my yard. I like it.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...65#post1506465
    I think I have attached it here now. For what it's worth. The bees filled out the frames perfectly. I should add a pic of that.
    Double-medium-frame-prototype.jpg
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

Did the bees fill the gap with worker or drone sized cells?

I would not repeat my method except as an excuse to use up some stock of wired wax foundation.
    Frank

When I populated mine, it was with a swarm. They didn't need drones, and they filled the gaps with worker sized cells. I can't say they would always use worker cell size, but you can cut out drone brood, using it as mite bait, if you prefer. I'm still planning to do this on a larger scale this mid-summer, preparing for overwintering a several of these colonies. It looks straightforward to put some deep frames into the double-medium box for working up to prepare nucs. If you want a bit of space below the brood box (as hang-out space or in place of a slatted rack), it's easy to use a medium box paired with a deep as the brood space. As I have some slightly shallow deeps made from 1x10 material by my son-in-law a few years ago, I think I may do _just_ that.

I need to get some pics of those frames. I think the bees filled them out nicely. If I wanted use them as supers, then to extract them I'd make an extractor. Since they are robust mechanically, using plastic foundation, I think I'd have little problem with blow-outs. But for supers, mediums should work perfectly well. If a keeper wanted to "hang up" brood above a QE, it should be workable.

But I've been fumbling around all of the time I pretend to have been beekeeping, so don't trust what I say. Just hear it and think whether some of it might work for you.

Michael
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

Check European suppliers for plastic foundation in Dadant size, particularly suppliers in Germany, France, and Italy. These countries have robust beekeeping industries based on various types of Dadant hives.

Dadant still has several cases of Duragilt in modified Dadant size. Call and ask specifically for it and they will gladly ship you a case.

I had Dadant manufacture 200 pounds of wired wax brood foundation for me a year ago. If you want some wired wax in modified Dadant size, I can send you a box of 60 sheets for $2 per sheet plus shipping.

If you want other sizes, sometimes Dadant will run a special order of wired wax brood foundation that is not cut. They just run it off as a roll and put the roll in a box for shipping.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest