Three mites in a swarm update. video

Default Three mites in a swarm update. video

Three blind mites
    Three blind mites
    See how they run.....

Wait....uh....that was a different nursery rhyme.

In late March I caught my first swarm of the 2018 season. As an experiment, before they began brood rearing, I treated them for varroa mites using oxalic acid vapor. In theory the vast majority of phoretic mites should have been killed. After a week I removed the sticky sheet that I had placed on the bottom board. I was surprised to find only three mites had fallen. Here we are, eight weeks later, and this is an update to my earlier post.

https://youtu.be/qyOGBZ6evHQ
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Three mites in a swarm update. video

Hi Dan,
    In the video, you mentioned that you used plastic because of bee's tendencies to rob wax from wax foundation. Well, they do rob the wax coating off of plastic as well, and then they won't, or will greatly resist, drawing it out. If you take a block of wax the size of a bar of soap and rub it on that undrawn plastic, it will greatly help getting them to draw it. You'll need to either be on a flow or be feeding for them to do it though.

Nice looking beeyard, wishing you continued success with it.

Thanks Ray! I have some very nice yards and few that are pretty scruffy.

I know I can do a variety of coating and recoating plastic foundation. I’ve played with some differing methods. This year, between deeps and mediums I added about 1000 new frames. I stay pretty overwhelmed so the idea of recoating scavenged wax probably won’t happen. I appreciate the idea.
    I describe the current state of my life as my lunacy days. I tell people that I don’t expect to be able to continue at my current scale for more than another couple of years. As I approach 70 I find working 7 days a week in the blistering sun less and less appealing. So many personal tasks go unattended and much around me is neglected. I even feel guilty taking an extra thirty minutes during the day to record video footage….yet I feel compelled to do so. In spite of the intellectual reality of all of this, I keep expanding. Is that crazy…or what? The idea of adding any more tasks is just beyond my comprehension.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Beemandan
    I keep expanding. Is that crazy…or what? The idea of adding any more tasks is just beyond my comprehension.
    I am only 56 now and I was hoping that I was over any kind of (expecially your kind) of ambition. I go from make a few splits before the flow is over to why do I need to do that. Sounds like you either need to get double your hives now and hire help or start selling a few. In your videos though, you still look to be enjoying bees and proud of what you have (and you should be). To me, it looks like you have did a really good job with that many hives and the condition they seem to be in. If I was running 150 hives, they would be falling over and sitting on every possible thing around with no rhyme and reason to them. You really look like you have handled it very professionally.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Those are very kind comments gww. Thank you.
    I was probably your age when I began expanding from a dozen hives so most of my equipment is 'relatively' new.
    My bees are in somewhat good order. It's the rest of my life that is out of control.