Georgia - Atlanta area - done with the flow?

Question Georgia - Atlanta area - done with the flow?

Hey everyone,

do you think we're done with the flow right now or is it still going on?

thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Reminder Re: Georgia - Atlanta area - done with the flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hey everyone,

do you think we're done with the flow right now or is it still going on?

thanks,
    Thomas
    Five days of rain and cloudy weather, how can you tell? Ive been feeding my nucs this past week and the bee yard has been full of bees looking for a free meal so there is a slow down on nectar flow but they are are back on the clover today. Sumac, clover and soon sourwood (if your high enough/weather stays cool) to go. Two to three more weeks depending on your area of flow left.

Default Re: Georgia - Atlanta area - done with the flow?

I've been out of the country for two weeks so I'm not completely sure, but historically speaking it's long over.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

All finished. I'm planning to start pulling supers tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/EoK77EMaoLE
    Last edited by beemandan; 06-05-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Thanks for the video Dan!
    We have some elevation on Athens, but I get the message. It's done.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post

My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Interesting, I'm over in Floyd County (50 miles NW of Atlanta) and I usually have a smaller flow in late may (what we just had) and a more significant flow around the end of June. Maybe its whats growing locally.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
    I usually have a smaller flow in late may (what we just had) and a more significant flow around the end of June. Maybe its whats growing locally.
    I get what I call 'bumps'. Not enough to draw new comb and not enough to full empty comb. But I will see some new nectar coming in. Surely we have some different things blooming and our seasons may differ by a week or maybe even two.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I get what I call 'bumps'. Not enough to draw new comb and not enough to full empty comb. But I will see some new nectar coming in. Surely we have some different things blooming and our seasons may differ by a week or maybe even two.
    One of these days I need to start learning what blooms where in my local area. Historically I pull as many capped supers as I can in late May, Extract then put them back on the hive. By early to mid July I will have close to double the capped supers of honey I had in late May. Most of the time there is enough stores left on the hive that I don't have to do a lot of feeding in the summer.
    I have a ton of golden rod that blooms around me in the early Fall, but my bees don't do much with it.

I have a ton of golden rod that blooms around me in the early Fall, but my bees don't do much with it.
    Same here.

Hey Ddawg,

what is your elevation??

thanks,
    Thomas
    Interesting, I'm over in Floyd County (50 miles NW of Atlanta) and I usually have a smaller flow in late may (what we just had) and a more significant flow around the end of June. Maybe its whats growing locally.

what is your elevation??
    Good question. He might be high enough to get some sourwood.
    Sadly, not here. I have a number of them blooming as I speak but nary a bee on them. Around my mountain yard, when they are blooming those trees are alive with bees and hummingbirds.

I have a lot of open fields of clover around and my bees are still going wide open right now.I am gonna pull honey around the 4th of July.0511181925.jpg

Embarrassed Re: Georgia - Atlanta area - done with the flow?

Hey Ddawg,

what is your elevation??

thanks,
    Thomas
    Rome is 614 feet above sea level.

I hope I didn't jinx my big 2nd honey flow making all these statements