A swarm from one of my hives

Default A swarm from one of my hives

sillow tree swarm.jpg

This is a small swarm from one of my hives in a sapling brush willow tree, found them there on Sunday.
    I got a 4 frame nuc and put it on a cinder block right under the swarm. Put a piece of honey comb on the bottom, one drawn frame and 2 empty frames. Had my hair clip queen catcher next to me, and started gently taking small scoops of bees to look for queen, each scoop I put in the nuc. I found her on the 4th scoop and put her in catcher. I placed catcher between the drawn frame and next on, used a stick to prop the lid so that it is open a bit just under the swarm and not pushing on the hair clip handles. About an hour later, the bees were moving off the tree and into the nuc.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A swarm from one of my hives

All but one of the swarms I have caught have been that small. I have never looked for a queen when hiving one but am sure you can tether them better that way. I am jealous as I have only seen one swarm this year in a trap. I have not had one of my hives go yet this year which is a heck of a change from last year. Thanks for posting and the picture.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Default Re: A swarm from one of my hives

Thanks for sharing the photo and congratulations on catching the swarm.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."