Dead bees in nuc

Default Dead bees in nuc

First time beekeeper and i have done something wrong and not sure what to do next.
    Picked up my first nuc for my first hive today. The bees were all well when i left for the four hour drive back home... but when i got home nearly all the bees were dead. I noticed that they had crammed themselves into the vent holes (covered by mesh for the trip)and blocked the holes. I assume they died from lack of ventilation?
    There are still a few alive (probably a hundred or so)including the queen. I moved the nuc frames with the live bees into the new hive.
    Is there anything i can do to help in this situation?
    Is it recoverable?
    Or should i accept this as a loss and get another nuc?
    And if i get aother nuc, how do i prevent this from happening again?
    I appreciate any and all advice/insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dead bees in nuc

How did you transport them?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I had them in the back of my suv... air conditioner on. Didn’t think that would be a problem. Any thoughts?

Welcome to Beesource!

Sorry to hear about your situation.

A few hundred bees might recover, but the odds are not in your favor, IMO. Offer them sugar syrup (less work for them than foraging nectar).

Bees can get into a sort of panic when they can't get out, and cling to the wire, which blocks the ventilation. If you have a truck, the bees should do fine in the bed of the truck with a bit of shade. If you are transporting inside the passenger area, keep the AC as cold as you can. Don't put them in the trunk. Here is a thread with more ideas:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...lb-bee-package
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It depends on how big the vents are on the nuc box when I transport hives the whole entrance is open with just number 8 hardware over it

Quote Originally Posted by Tlknghd View Post
    I had them in the back of my suv... air conditioner on. Didn’t think that would be a problem. Any thoughts?
    Made that mistake once by cramming a huge swarm into a 5 frame cardbox nuc box. After 30 minute drive, all thats left is a pile of dead bees.

Did you transport the 5 frame Nuc as is in a small Nuc box or did you transfer to a 10 frame box ?

Next time, transfer them to a 10 frame box (with rest of the box filled with empty frames, so the frames dont move around), with full ventilation on bottom and top.

If you have a screened bottomboard, you can use that to provide bottom ventilation. If you do not have screened bottomboard, make a 3 inch shim, same size as the box and staple #8 screen on one side. If you make two of those shims, you can use one for bottom and one for top.

1. Shim with #8 side facing up
    2. 10 frame box
    3. Shim with #8 side facing up

Strap it all together and transport with AC on.

I have put out some sugar water for the. And I hope that helps. Even the ones that are still alive aren’t very active.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlknghd View Post
    I have put out some sugar water for the. And I hope that helps. Even the ones that are still alive aren’t very active.
    Get another Nuc if you are in this thing for long haul.

I transported them in the five frame nuc. I guess I should have taken the new hive with me and transferred them into it for the ride home. Well, my first harsh lesson in beekeeping on my first day.

This is on the seller. You should have been instructed properly. While they may not have had a "responsibility" to instruct you properly, any decent person would have taken the time to ensure your bees got home alive. Find a new nuc seller. J

He asked how long my drive back was. I told him 3 to 4 hours. He said, oh they’ll be fine. So it didn’t occur to me to be particularly concerned. So, now I know and now I also will look for a nuc supplier nearer by.

I transport most bees at night or early morning. Moving them while the sun is up they go crazy trying to get out and produce alot of heat. I have my nuc buyers come to bee yard at sunset and transfer to their 10 frame, screen entrances and load in car. They get nearly all the bees and never had a problem with less than 45 minute drive. If they have a screened bottom we just throw in the entrance reducer and open screen

If I'm just moving a hive. I'll screen over entrances during night then move, if theyre bearding I'll screen just before sunrise then move.

When I'm making nucs, is the only time I transport during day. I just try to move quickly, put them in shade. I'm sure some do get a bit overheated but no cooked black bees.