Eppi pen or not?

Default Eppi pen or not?

Ok, so having an apiary and store brings all kind of folks on the property. We were having the discussion of whether or not to keep an eppi pen around. Here's two sides of the argument.... We're a bee store and apiary, we have bees, you're here because we have bees, you or your kid gets stung... You or your kid has an allergic reaction... So would I get sued for not treating you or get sued for hitting you with an eppi pen????
    Anybody want to bite on this???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a lawyer. I wouldn't carry one. Benadryl is about all ide keep. If your in Africanized country I may consider it. Is it clear to folks entering your property that bees are present at apairy / bee store?

Call Kelley bees and ask the sales lady if they keep a epi-pen on site for costumers...not staff. Kelley has a few hives and many packages in early spring for pickup. Ther girls are super nice and tell you what they do, if not refer you to manager.

Default Re: Eppi pen or not?

I was told by an E.R. Doctor that unless you want to go to prison if that person dies for giving them a prescribed medicine then go for it!! If it was for a family member yes , but in today's world it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.. My wife and I did not know this but several people are allergic to epinphrine. Sad days in the world we live in trying to help someone but better off calling 911 . I still would like to have an epipen on site for my wife and kids. I suppose if 911 told you to use it then only then would I use it..

I would imagine its like cpr you must first ask the patient if its ok to administer. You could always have one available and offer it to the parent to apply.

It's rather difficult to get a prescription for an epipen if it's not for you. Probably better off posing this question to a local attorney. Call 911 first because after administering an epipen you have to go to the ER anyways.

This is why we do not allow visitors to our apiaries.
    we call it biosecurity now.
    never give anyone drugs

I would get one for yourself and you would need a smaller dosage for YOUR kids. If you see someone having an allergic reaction call 911 immediately to get ambulance started. Then you could tell 911 operator that you have a pen. Depending on how severe the reaction is and how far out medical help is they my advise you to administer it but I would not unless they tell you. I been a volunteer firefighter in a rural area depending on things it could be 20-30 minutes to get an ambulance to you.

Thanks for the insight! I figured those responses would lean towards not doing anything without a doctor's instructions or patient permission.
    Our property is well marked too.

My allergist ordered me an auvi-q, which is epinephrine. It cost me nothing, but was ordered due to a reaction I had and as a precaution in case I ever have a worse reaction. As a teacher, we are trained ever year on how to use both types of pens. These are used when someone has a reaction bad enough to stop their breathing. I wish we were like so many other countries where these are sold over the counter and don't require a prescription. It is probably a good idea to have everyone that comes near the hives sign a paper regarding no suing you if they step in a hole, trip and break a leg, or get stung. Florida has a law that requires a sign to be posted in clear view that will protect farmers.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Are you really asking if you should share your prescription medication with another person, ket alone a stranger?

If you have a store, stock Benadryl.

If someone has an allergic reaction, dial 911.

If the risks of handling this legally are too great for you, *don't do it at all*.