to move a captured swarm -- "2' or 2 miles rule" legit?!

Question to move a captured swarm -- "2' or 2 miles rule" legit?!

I've nabbed a swarm (which I think swarmed from a hived swarm I got in March) 3-4 days ago. The deep is perched in a small persimmon tree in my front yard, and about 75' from where my 4 actual hives are located.

When I last caught a swarm, I merely placed the frames -- a week later -- into a deep and moved the deep the 20' over to the hives stand. Everything was sweetness and light, except for maybe 30-40 foragers that insisted on hanging around where the trap'd originally been. There was no absconding or mass exodus.

I've read, and been told, such a move is risky and that I should move the "swarm trap/deep" no more than 2 feet from where it had been initially placed, or I should move it at least 2 miles away for a week or so, then put it wherever I want it.

I'm in a clumsy situation re: moving the deep a distance (no need to go into specifics), so: should I be concerned about the 2'-2 mile instruction? I'd really like to just go out pre-dawn, seal the entrance and tote the deep-trap to the hives stand, then open the entrance.

I'd like to know if this would be a dumb move, or worth the risk (if there is a risk) or options, experiences, etc. I'd be unpleased if -- doing it my way -- The Girls would just skedaddle back to the persimmon tree! Thx much .....

Mitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: to move a captured swarm -- "2' or 2 miles rule" legit?!

If you can close the entrance the night before moving. That way you get must of the foragers back home. After moving and opening the entrance place something to obstruct the entrance. This will make then do a orientation flight for the new location. Leave it there for 24-48 hours.

You can move them a couple feet once an hour and they'll be fine. If the wind direction is blowing from the hive stand towards the persimmon tree move them to the hive stand.

Swarms should not be an issue to move once you capture them. They are in a special mode finding a new place.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Swarms should not be an issue to move once you capture them. They are in a special mode finding a new place.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm
    Appreciated, Buzz -- that's exactly what I hoped to see. Sounds logical. I swear, every day with the bees is an adventure -- fun or not .....

At times
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I have successfully moved hives short distances -- as in from one side of an urban lot to another simply by putting a leafy branch in front if the entrance so that when the bees come out, the are disoriented.

They'll re orient on the new location.

Bees away from the hive will return to an old hive location, and circle about.

Sometimes I 've left a nuclear there, cloed it at night, and dumped them in the moved hive tre next morning, sometimes I haven't.

If you don't within a few days tge'll usually have circled about and found a new hive, or even the old, moved one if it was not moved far.

If bees out scouting when you collected the swarm congregate where the searm was, I'd put a nuclear -- or even a cardboard box with a hole I it and piece of comb inside -- at the location, close it at night, and dump them at the entrance of the new hive in the morning.

Good luck with the new hive!