Queen laying in partially drawn cells

Default Queen laying in partially drawn cells

I noticed that I've got a few frames where the queen is laying in cells that have hardly any comb drawn on the plastic foundation.

There are 10 frames of drawn comb with open cells in the bottom box and this is happening in the second box. Does she think she is short on space to lay and getting eggs wherever possible in hopes that the cells will get drawn faster than the larva grows or is there something else going on that I need to work on rectifying?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen laying in partially drawn cells

Quote Originally Posted by mraz View Post
    I noticed that I've got a few frames where the queen is laying in cells that have hardly any comb drawn on the plastic foundation.

There are 10 frames of drawn comb with open cells in the bottom box and this is happening in the second box. Does she think she is short on space to lay and getting eggs wherever possible in hopes that the cells will get drawn faster than the larva grows or is there something else going on that I need to work on rectifying?

Thanks for the help!
    Count your blessings as those frames will now be drawn out faster.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

That's great!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've seen it many times. The queen is desperately looking for a place to lay. You'll often see that this time a year, when bee numbers are growing and brood boxes are being filled with nectar & pollen.

Yep, what jcase said
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Any chance those open cells in the bottom box are just above a screened bottom board?

Either way, one of my favorite things to see is eggs in cells only drawn 1/8" tall. As others have said, that frame will be drawn in just a day or two.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

[QUOTE=Bdfarmer555;1639605]Any chance those open cells in the bottom box are just above a screened bottom board?

Bdfarmer555 -

The open cells that are fully drawn in the bottom box are just above a screened bottom board. Would it be wise to put an insulation panel under the bottom board so she feels better about laying down there?

I eliminated the empty cells by switching to solid bottom boards. Most of my hives lay right to the bottom now. Not sure if it's the light, or the fresh air blowing in.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

You may see a funny brood pattern later as she continues to lay in the freshly drawn comb, it can give something like a banding effect with the age of the larvae. No big thing but it can cause a second look as your eye picks up the pattern in the fully drawn comb.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Thats great. those frames will be drawn in no time.. I have had frames 1/2 drawn out in a day or two because because she started laying a few eggs in the cell impressions.