End of our nectar flow. video

Default End of our nectar flow. video

It has been an exceptional spring nectar flow here near Athens, GA. But, all good things must end. Today, May 30, I am seeing all the signs that our nectar flow has ended.

https://youtu.be/EoK77EMaoLE
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: End of our nectar flow. video

beeman...
    I also have a bird bath type of thing in my back yard where the bees get water. When I start seeing a lot of activity there, I figure the flow has waned. I saw some bearding on a pretty hot day but the bees were not hitting the water and they were just four days ago and so I say we are now on the start of a pretty heavy flow. I also notice the bees in the hive are really shaking their butts when The nector is coming in.

I really think you only made this video so you could brag one more time of the fantastic season you have had.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Hey Dan, do you ever get any sumac flow? I had a random flow last July, and according to people who know honey more than me, it was mostly sumac. Really great tasting, sort of like citrus apple pie. I was going to treat and make splits this June/July, but was thinking about maybe keeping some strong production hives...I would love to try to get some this summer, but last year was probably a fluke.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I really think you only made this video so you could brag one more time of the fantastic season you have had.
    It may not be the last time I get to brag. There's sure to be a super pulling/honey extraction video. We don't get this sort of thing often so I need to milk it.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Branman View Post
    Hey Dan, do you ever get any sumac flow?
    I see them working sumac when it blooms but have never seen it come in in great volumes. Here it's pretty dark honey.
    You're about a hundred or so miles away. Things can be pretty different. If you got a later season flow last year....I'd try for it again.

would you mind sharing what kind of wireless mic you are using and camera? I'm looking for something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    would you mind sharing what kind of wireless mic you are using and camera? I'm looking for something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.
    The main camera I use is a GoPro Hero4 Black. I have to say that I havenít been very happy with it but it works. The wireless mic was a bit pricey. Itís a Rode and runs about $400. One of my pet peeves watching youtube videos is poor audio. To have the freedom to move around and still get decent audioÖ.I went ahead and bit the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The main camera I use is a GoPro Hero4 Black. I have to say that I haven’t been very happy with it but it works. The wireless mic was a bit pricey. It’s a Rode and runs about $400. One of my pet peeves watching youtube videos is poor audio. To have the freedom to move around and still get decent audio….I went ahead and bit the bullet.
    Thank you for the info. That was about the cheapest price range I was seeing and didn't want to spend that much. Hoping to find some $50 solution to fit my smart phone. (and I whole heartedly agree on the poor audio for the youtube videos. If someone can come up with the right product, they can make a fortune)

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    Hoping to find some $50 solution to fit my smart phone.
    There seems to be a lot of folks doing a good job on youtube using their cell phones. I think you just have to be extra attentive....which I often am not.