Queenless

Thread: Queenless

Default Queenless

How long can a hive go without an active laying queen? I got a NUC 3 weeks ago, my first inspection was after 2 weeks. At that time I did not find a queen or eggs or small larva but did see quite a bit of capped brood, brood chamber was being filled with honey. I was able to secure a queen and installed her in a candy capped cage last Friday Night along with 2 frames of empty comb since they had filled all the empty cells with honey. Inspected yesterday. No queen, no eggs but the empty cells have not been filled with honey yet. How soon do I need to get another queen in the hive? I may have missed her, but not sure. Would I have time to put frames from another hive into it so they can raise one themselves?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queenless

Give her a little more time to start laying. They don't always start laying right out of the cage.

As I had stated, this was a new NUC that I had installed. During my first inspection I had seen some empty queen cells and had assumed those were old that predated my installing the NUC into the new hive. Will remember to do a much better examination next time, but saw the queen and made sure she wasn't injured during the moving of frames. But when I checked the hive two days ago, I saw some larva and capped brood. Still have not gotten a prescription for my glasses that allows me to see the eggs yet. I also found a brand new un-marked queen moving around and laying eggs in empty cells. So not sure what happened to the queen form the NUC but assume they killed the new queen I bought for it.

oops. They will do that if they already have one.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

You were probably "between queens" as I call it. The bees knew it and "assisted" the new queen out the door. I went in to 10 or so hives 2 weeks ago and couldn't find eggs, or open brood. I was going to panic and order queens but I waited and when I checked them yesterday, they all had beautiful brood patterns.

I had very similar issue, nuc 3.5 weeks old queen was ejected. Replaced her and second didn't last a 1 day after release from candy cage.. Went on vacation for a week and did inspection and found a queen in place. I think it set my hive back a few weeks in terms of hive growth but sure did get stores of honey built up. My concern now is enough comb ready for her, I don't have any since I am new. Good luck. Hope that's the rite pic of my new queen.

image.jpeg