Need Queen help asap

Default Need Queen help asap

On another post I did everything wrong and bought two nucs with out inspecting them with the "big time" beekeeper. I got two nucs with lots of capped brood and no queen, or evidence of eggs, small larva but just older larva and capped brood in BOTH NUCS. Guy gave me reasons right after I got them home but no recourse since he had my money and no offer to replace or help.

One hive was weak with no foraging bees only ones that would run off the entrance board and fall to the ground. I boxed them back into the nuc and set them to the side. Lot of brood in the box and hatching bees but too late. Guessing deformed wing or pesticide after talking with Texas A & M Apiaries. Brood hatching so just too late to save. I cleaned up the box with Clorox and left out to dry and cleaned all my equipment.

The other nuc is strong with couple frames of capped brood and lots of bees no queen or evidence of one.

Lessons learned on what not to do when buying bees.

What I need now is a queen for the strong hive before the capped brood hatches so I can learn from my misadventures and have my bees too.

No one around Houston has any queen afaik.

WHO SELLS HYGIENIC BEES THAT I CAN ORDER OR PICK UP A LAYING QUEEN FROM asap?

Thanks, Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Need Queen help asap

Lappe's offers queen bees with shipping. More info here:
    https://www.lappesbeesupply.com/quee...bees-for-sale/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

OHBEES.com they will ship over night.

Lapp's gets them from ohb then adds a little to the price.

Good morning jim. Been following your posts for awhile. You sure have had some issues. Being new I have had a few setbacks also with 2 nucs, worst was finding my queen on the ground after workers ejected her after almost 4 weeks. I just try to read and ask questions here and move on. Luckily I found a good local supplier, she would not take any $ for the new queen even though I tried to pay her. Anyway, have you looked for a local club or watched for hives in you daily travels and maybe left a short polite note introducing yourself and goal? Both have helped me a lot, along with this forum. I am starting to see that bees take a CSI type of mentality and the confidence to act on my deductions. Wish you luck

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    OHBEES.com they will ship over night.

Lapp's gets them from ohb then adds a little to the price.
    OHBEES.com
    FYI... If you're buying (1) $30.00 queen, the shipping will be more than the queen.

I have tried my local club in Conroe, Texas (Montgomery County), just north of the Woodlands, but they did not know anyone close by that had any queens. Even Weavers is out.

The guy that nucked me is located South of Houston and belongs to clubs down that way. I would had least felt better if he would have given me a queen or when I asked to replace the weak box say something other than "All my nucs are sold" and tell me the queen might have been damaged on the install on the other box with no offer to stand behind his product.

What do you say Since neither box showed recent queen activity Only some larger larva and lots of brood. He had stated that both were original nucs that the queen was good and neither was a throw together box. I learned my lesson and will not take someones word again. At least with some eggs and new larva on a frame you could be able to grow your own queen.

Live and learn. Hopefully I can find a good queen the next day or two and salvage my strong hive before the brood all hatch and it is too late. The other is doomed and I moved it back to the paper nuc box to die in. Then I cleaned up all the tools and the hive with Clorox and washed all the other gear since I did not know what was messing with the weak hive.
    Last edited by JimD; 05-30-2018 at 12:15 PM.

They sell Italians for $30 for 1 to 10, marked for free. The charge for overnite shipping is a flat $38 for total
    queens ordered not each queen. If you need quality queens fast I recommend these guys.

I have been saved.

I got a PM from one of the beekeepers on the board.

A Good Samaritan in Houston offered to give me a queen and frame of brood to get my hive back on track this weekend.

I really want to thank him and for the others that help others in need on the board.

JimD
    Last edited by JimD; 05-31-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Cool !!!

There are good people out there.