I noticed within the last week that the Black Locust trees are in full bloom, as well as the Autumn Olive here in Michigan. As of two days ago the Wild Black Cherry (Prunus serotina) came into bloom. I can see by the speed at which my new hives are drawing out foundation on the second brood chamber that they are working hard at bringing in nectar.
As I was perusing our local newspaper, I glanced over the five-day forecast which gives historical as well as current data. One of the categories was the pollen index which shows trees, grass, weeds and molds. Trees had a high reading which correlated with my tree observations. Also under precipitation were listed month to date, normal month to date, year to date and normal year to date, of which we are running 2 inches above normal year to date. The question that comes to mind is whether any of this information can become a useful tool in determining a nectar flow, a dearth period, etc. Unfortunately I donít have a Fairbanks grain scale with a hive on it to help confirm data. But I do keep an eye out for one!
Do any of you folks review or collect such data? If so, do you find it helpful in determining the status of your hives, or as a way to forecast what the summer months might bring you as you go into fall? Then again, this just may mean I could just be a retired old man with way too much time on my hands! LOL