Simple Harmony Farms uncapper First Test
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Simple Harmony Farms uncapper First Test

Like many One man operations, extracting day is quite the ordeal. The weakest link in the operation is definitely uncapping. When I heard about the Simple Harmony Farms uncapper I decided to risk it and jump in. I purchased the uncapper at full retail price and have no connections to the sellers.
    This past weekend I had about 60 Frames to extract, and this is my report.
    The extractor I use is the Maxant 3500H (9 frame Non powered version)
    The SHF uncapper is very solid and simple to use. I used clamps to secure it to my ML uncapping tank rather than screws and it worked out fine.
    I decided to go all out and test the worst frames first. The first frames I tested were older frames that were very thin and had hard dark cappings, these would be almost impossible with the hot knife and always take me forever.
    I found that I would have to run the frames up and down a few times slightly adjusting the angle each time, but the SHF uncapper actually did better than I thought it would. It did manage to cut about 80/90% of the cappings and a quick once over with the cappings scratcher fixed them right up.
    Next I tested some freshly capped but still thinner frames. This was much quicker, I still had to run them up and down once or twice, but the uncapper made short work of them and they were ready to go into the extractor.
    Normal frames that are a little fatter are a breeze, once down and up then into to extractor.
    I was completely done extracting my first 9 frame load in as much or less time than it would take me just to uncap. The next big plus was that there was almost no mess in the uncapping tank.
    Overall I was very pleased with the SHF uncapper and It cut my day in half, but the real un expected bonus was there was significantly less of a mess to clean up.
    I did video the uncapping, its just going to take me a while to get it up on youtube.

i hope this helps anyone out there looking for an easier way to uncap.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Simple Harmony Farms uncapper First Test

Ddawg,
    Thanks so much for the review. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been waiting to hear of anyone not with the company who has used it to report back the results. It sounds quite good to me.

Thanks for the review. I would also like to see the video when you get it posted.

Were there very many cappings in the honey after extracting? How would it compare to using a hot knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post
    Thanks for the review. I would also like to see the video when you get it posted.

Were there very many cappings in the honey after extracting? How would it compare to using a hot knife?
    I also wondered about this prior to testing, but there was not much noticeable difference of wax in my strainer than when I would use the hot knife.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

I used my uncapper for the first time last night and saved a lot of time and mess. It takes a little getting used to as it leaves a quarter of an inch on all sides uncapped and sometimes a little under the top bar but your capping scratcher makes short work of that. New capped comb is a breeze and the older stuff just needs a little more attention. the honey this year is " locust and clover over and over " very pale and sweet.
    Johno

I've been thinking about this... Usually I have two people helping me and each of them runs a hot knife for me and then I load the (18 frame) extractor. They keep uncapping and more-or-less keep up with the extractor.
    Assuming I can't always have two people help me for a whole day, I'm thinking this could help me be able to extract alone or at least with less help. Is that an accurate assessment, Ddawg?

Your observation re: no more wax in the strainer is interesting to me as when I pick frames I get much much more wax than when I hot knife them.

Thanks for posting your experience!

Is it possible to adjust the spacing at all? I'm running 8 frames in supers this year.

I must say that with this uncapper I am able to extract on my own without help from my wife, the only problem I have is if the extractor is unbalanced it becomes difficult to crank and hold it down. As far as the cappings are concerned very little in the uncapping tank but more than usual in the strainer from the extractor, I think this is due to more small pieces of wax flying off the frames due to the uncapper breaking the wax with the slotted wheels. Even so a lot of time and mess is avoided with this uncapper.
    Johno

Thank you, johno, that is exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'll buy a third stainless strainer set-up if I buy this so there's less downtime for cleanup. I do need to sort out either a better mounting or better balancing for my extractor if I'm going to let that thing run on it's own. Or just run it slower (and longer), I suppose.

I put my name on the list with them yesterday to get one for the next shipment. Even if it's moderately clunky or needs a bit of pick-work, I haven't seen a video that makes me think it would be slower than the hot knife setup... and with less humans involved.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 06-08-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Thank you, johno, that is exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'll buy a third stainless strainer set-up if I buy this so there's less downtime for cleanup.
    We switched to using a slit uncapper a couple years ago, and bumped up from a 2 to 18 frame extractor a couple years before that. Our experience with the small extractor, strainer worked ok. Once we went to the bigger one, strainer was ALWAYS the bottleneck. We changed how we do it here. We no longer strain the honey coming out of the extractor, it goes strait into 5 gallon buckets. Leave them sit overnight and most of the crud floats up or sinks to the bottom. Go back the next day and skim the crud off the top, then send it thru a strainer to get the last bits. When we skim the tops, it all goes into a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic honey gate. Leave it sit again for a few hours. Now open the gate, you get a bunch of clean honey, as soon as the crud starts to show, dump what's left into one of the big strainers that fits over a 5 gallon bucket.

Our process works well for us. We extract strait into the 5 gallon buckets on a Saturday, we can run about a thousand pounds in a day easily with our setup feeding the 9/18 extractor. The next day we start by skimming buckets, then pour a bunch thru strainers into another bucket. After an hour of doing that, we set up the nassenheider and start bottling, all the buckets that finished straining go into the 10 gallon feeder we use for the bottler. By the time we are done, honey is all in bottles except for the last bucket which is the leftover crud that will take a couple days to fully drain properly.

Ditch the strainer at the extractor spout and your thruput processing honey will jump dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Ditch the strainer at the extractor spout and your thruput processing honey will jump dramatically.
    I say just get a couple of strainers, switching them out as needed and save the extra steps........ but to each his own..........

I now carry the Uncapper, but can't keep it stock long enough to put on the website..... word of mouth is selling them.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I now carry the Uncapper, but can't keep it stock long enough to put on the website..... word of mouth is selling them.
    I do have ONE that was used in a demo. Other than a wax particle or two, same as new (and same price as new. ($395 plus $20 shipping to anywhere US). If interested, pm me.
    Last edited by snl; 06-10-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I do have ONE that was used in a demo. Other than a wax particle or two, same as new (and same price as new. ($395 plus $20 shipping to anywhere US). If interested, pm me.
    That one sold....... We'll all have to wait until the "ship" comes in with more....

Interested to see the video.
    I run 10 frames in all my hives. I wonder how it would work as the cappings are flush with the frames side bars?

No idea if they would ship to Australia?
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

from their website:

Shipping to New Zealand/Australia is $95

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    ... I wonder how it would work as the cappings are flush with the frames side bars? ...
    Originally posted by Johno...
    it leaves a quarter of an inch on all sides uncapped and sometimes a little under the top bar but your capping scratcher makes short work of that...
    Johno
    Johno's post seems to indicate it should work fine for you Max2.

I'm not positive, but I'm assuming this was a feature incorporated into the design of the thing to address that issue of frames of comb that are not drawn out thick enough beyond the width of the side bars.

New thick honey frames are a piece of cake, narrow frames of which I have had quite a few are a little more difficult sometimes just moving the capped frame up and down a few times helps with them as it also does with old comb. If your frame is capped right up to the edge there is a little strip on either side that is not uncapped and some of the thin frames will have a little strip under the top bar and some also might have a little strip at the bottom as the bottom bar is much thinner than the top bar but these are easily taken care of with your capping scratcher. I do all the harvesting and extraction mostly on my own and just do about 5 boxes of medium supers a day and have found this uncapper to have made extraction much quicker and easier, I would guess I have cut my extraction time in half and with very little mess,
    Johno

Thanks - all good information.

I have been using a heated knife and it works well but as I get old anything which makes the job easier it welcome.
    These things are going through my head:
    - the small pieces of was which will clog-up the strainer
    - missed parts on edges
    - not having any cappings to make mead ( it is by far the best mead) and our clean wax is getting a great price. We also make candles and sell blocks of wax for " wraps" - you may not believe this but I'm getting $ Aus 40 per kg for our wax ( we got First price at the local show)
    - The cost - including shipping to Australia.
    - I'm an old fart and a bit set in my ways

On the other hand:
    - We produce only about 4000 kg a year ( a good year) from our up to 40 hives and make a good number of nuc's . I could expand ( don't tell my wife!) I can sell all the honey we produce retail.
    - This looks like a great gadget - well made.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I now have “some” more in stock. Not enough to put up on the website. PM if interested.

2 sold to BS members this morning. If interested buy now as these are shipped from China via boat and take forever to get here. Just 4 left from the 10 received this week.

Just got done with my first extraction using Simple Harmony extractor. It usually takes me 12+ hours using a hot plane. I cut that time to a little less than 8 hours. Like the rest said it's difficult with old comb. It also leaves a little on both sides for the scratcher. Works real good on frames that are new and fully drawn a little past the frame. It's a LOT less clean up. Probably the best upgrade for $400 I've spent.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast