A late season swarm plus swarm commander vs lgo update. Video

Hybrid View

Default A late season swarm plus swarm commander vs lgo update. Video

I caught a good sized swarm in one of my traps a few days ago. As our nectar flow has essentially ended there isnít going to be enough natural forage for these bees to build and provision their nest from scratch. What shall I do with them?
    Also, for those who have followed my earlier posts on Swarm Commander vs lemongrass oil for swarm trap baits; an update.

https://youtu.be/_yE5KcZ8e4A
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Default Re: A late season swarm plus swarm commander vs lgo update. Video

why not feed them sugar syrup and give them a pollen patty every so often so that they can be strong enough to take full advantage of the fall flows?
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    why not feed them sugar syrup and give them a pollen patty every so often so that they can be strong enough to take full advantage of the fall flows?
    We don't get anything that qualifies as a fall flow. A little dribble of nectar but not even enough to get them through the winter. I'm not a fan of pollen patties. We do seem to get pollen most of the year. At the moment I'm feeding about thirty new hives. They're going through 20 gallons a week. I hope to wind that down shortly as I begin extracting and am not anxious to do so throughout our summer dearth. All the same, if I am unable to cross the river by the end of this week....they'll go into one of my local yards and I'll be feeding them. I won't let them starve.

Who knows, I may get one or two more swarms so I'll be feeding some anyway.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Not looking very good at the moment. My upper limit is 1.5ft.

OkÖ.I think itís a done deal. Iíll have to put them somewhere locally.

I feel your pain. Lake Lanier is 2 feet above full pool, and there has been some flooding locally. The Corp of Engineers may start closing parks and boat ramps soon. (Luckily, I'm on high ground). There's a LOT of rain.

It if funny you have weak flows there. I'm only 45 minutes away and ours is still going strong, except for the rain.

Thanks
    Mike