storm Alberto

Thread: storm Alberto

Default storm Alberto

Wondering how my fellow beeks that are in Alberto's path are doing? I'm not concerned about my heavier hives, but may do something to weigh down the nucs or move them to the ground. We may get the full winds here.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: storm Alberto

My hives are in the Cottondale area. I was out of town all weekend and didn't have the chance to get over there to double check and secure everything, but like you, my main concern is really just the nucs at this point. The location is pretty sheltered from any wind with a southern component so hopefully they'll be okay. We'll see!

I'm not doing anything special with mine. I always leave a brick on top of them, so it will stay on but I'm not doing anything else.

I went out and put bricks on the nucs. I was thinking of moving them tot the ground, but the winds have been downgraded and are expected to peak midday. I'll be here to handle anything rather quickly. Winds here are from the north, which should be slowed by the neighbors privacy fence.

It's just raining here. Not bad at all.

yea, weather man had it peaking about now, but we are only getting a light, steady rain. No big winds. It has helped bring down the temp a bit. Overall, not even a bad rain storm. I wonder how they are doing east of here.

I like to use ratchet straps and heavy duty cement blocks to hold my hives in place for high winds. I have the hives placed on the blocks and run the ties into them and across the top of the hive. It makes me feel better anyway...

We have been seeing bands of rain move through for the last 24 hours. Nothing heavy yet. Forecast calls for possible flooding.

Hopefully this will put a good seasoning into the ground that will turn into a sourwood flow.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    I like to use ratchet straps and heavy duty cement blocks to hold my hives in place for high winds. I have the hives placed on the blocks and run the ties into them and across the top of the hive. It makes me feel better anyway...
    I use those types of cement blocks for hive stands. Last fall for Irma I used as many ratchet straps as I could find/borrow (stores sold out quickly of both straps and cinder blocks) to secure as many of my hives in the way you describe. Every hive I could secure like this didn't tip, along with the hives that had cinder block only on top. I didn't have enough for all my hives, and that's where losses came in.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

I just went and checked on one of my four outyards. I had strapped them down on Saturday. All look good. As a matter of fact, I had put some Post It Extreme sticky notes on the tops of the hives on Saturday (bought them at Wal Mart) and they all made it through the storm. It was really more of a rain event here. Got about 5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    I use those types of cement blocks for hive stands. Last fall for Irma I used as many ratchet straps as I could find/borrow (stores sold out quickly of both straps and cinder blocks) to secure as many of my hives in the way you describe. Every hive I could secure like this didn't tip, along with the hives that had cinder block only on top. I didn't have enough for all my hives, and that's where losses came in.
    Good to know that the method does work.

Strange no one held their hives down with 5 gallon buckets of water
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert