dead queen

Thread: dead queen

Default dead queen

I installed a new package on May 20th. When I went yesterday to check on the queen I found her dead in the cage.

How long do I have to install a new queen before they become laying workers? Or alternatively I can steal some brood from other hives and let them make one but right this minute I am worried about the timing. I had a laying worker hive last year that ended up in a big fat mess and don't want to repeat the experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: dead queen

You could install a frame of brood for them to use to make themselves a replacement queen. If you can't identify 1.5 day old larvae (the size you'd use for grafting) then just be sure the frame has some eggs on it and let the bees choose the cells. After, say, four days from installing the frame, go back check on the frame. You may need to cull the number of started queen cells down to just two or three.

Laying worker takes a couple of weeks with no brood to get going (because almost all colony-sized groups of worker bees already have some laying workers among them.) At the very least, installing a frame of very young brood will help to pause the laying-worker clock while you decide whether to let them go ahead a raise a queen, or get a store-bought one.

If you install a new queen, I think it's a good practice to check up on her progress after three or four days. Once you have an update on her status, then you can leave them alone for a week.

Nancy

I would get a frame of open brood into the hive now to prevent them from going LW. Then you can decide if you want them yo raise a queen from the brood you gave them or purchase a mated queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Nancy beat me to it. Sorry for the redundancy.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thank you!! We have heavy rain predicted for the next few days but I'll move some brood as soon as I can. As always, thank so much!

tnmtn:
    I have never had any luck turning around a laying worker hive either. Good luck
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

I shouldn't ask, but did you remove the cork from the queen's cage? Did you see the sugar once the cork was pulled out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete O View Post
    I shouldn't ask, but did you remove the cork from the queen's cage? Did you see the sugar once the cork was pulled out?
    Yes. I did do those things. But I'm wondering if I put it between the frames in such a way that it blocked the bees from feeding her.

The queen I installed yesterday came in a plastic cage that has openings on all sides.