Just a scam ?

Thread: Just a scam ?

Default Just a scam ?

Hello,
    Is there anybody buying bees (nucs) from an Brad Cook from Vancouver ?
    I am just curious if its a scam.
    I payed half of the price in advance but the closer the delivery day comes the less I hear from him back.
    He was advertising on kijiji. I hope he is just busy but I am getting a bit suspicious by now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Just a scam ?

50% seems to be an unusually high percentage non refundable deposit. Not like he would have any problem finding other buyers. It is certainly a sellers market in Ontario anyways with many suppliers sold out.

I hope you come out of it well!
    Frank

I checked his website. Has nothing to do with bees. It's : pureengeniering.ca.
    And as manager he wouldn't have much time for bees.
    So I guess : it's a scam.
    I hope no one else falls for it. He was advertising on kijiji with delivery to the lower mainland and northern Alberta .

Frank,

Do you still need some bees? I'm in Grande Prairie and all my bees wintered fine so I'm finding I have too many bees in relation to the time I have so I'd sell you a nuc if you're in need.

Thank you very much for your offer, beefarmer.
    Tomorrow is the big day. I finally got some word from him and could reach his delivery driver. I am still sceptical, there is quite a bit miscommunication like: I believe the driver is on Friday in your area( there should be a schedule since I am not the only one getting bees), you can contact the driver and ask for time and location( I don't have phone email or name from driver).
    Anyway, I will post the outcome of my adventure . I hope it turns out good.
    Beefarmer, if you like to share your bee knowledge , I would love to "look over your shoulder" , see how you do things and help you out here and then. Not sure how to contact you.
    And crofter ( it's a Frank as well?) thanks for your reply too.

I'm interested to see how it turns out, hopefully you get a good surprise!

I'm actually closer to you than GP is, I'm just west of Elmworth. I'm only a second year keeper, but always good to connect with others. I keep my bees in a shed year round so it will be something you probably haven't seen. It's not a cheap method but it sure works well.

I ask for 40% deposit. Over the years I've had too many folks cancel or just not respond when I'm ready to deliver. Probably 30%. Caused me some head ache, so last year I started to ask for deposit and my take rate went to 100%.

So, I picked up my bees yesterday . All went well. The deliverer offered me to inspect the boxes, but I didn't. I did have the boxes and could hear the bees, no sense to take a chance to roll the queen or make the bees mad right in the middle of town. While hiving at my place I found I got 5 frame nucs instate of 4 frames. So it was a good surprise .
    Beefarmer, I would love to see your setup . It sounds like the European style where you inspect the hive from behind instead from above.
    Burns375, I am not sure how you handled that nuc selling, In my case all came down to lack of communication . When the planed delivery is a day ahead and you hav'nt heard anything and then you hear he is still trying to figure out the delivery and takes still an other week, you for sure get nervous. The delivery man asked me what the agreement was.
    Heck, I cancelled my Visa card because I got scared .
    If the delivery is delayed I need at least an update how things are and I need an answer when I ask.
    And the delivery was delayed 4 weeks.

I'm glad all went well. I had a bad experience last year that left me a little gun-shy. It seems like a mass email or text would help with information. I stood in a parking lot with 9 others for hours waiting for ours that never got delivered. Terrible mess. Hope yours do well!
    Meghan

Wow, sorry to hear about your frustrations. I've started selling packages and nucs this year. For me and my customers I think all went well. I see many places where stuff could go wrong too. I both over produced nucs and over bought packages to try and offset issues. This isn't any good for the bottom line but my reputation needs to be established.
    I had weather related issues that held up delivery dates in both cases. Emails out to everyone as soon as I knew there was a problem. Nobody was upset and fully understand the issue. Communication is key here!!
    BTW I do not ship or deliver, you've gotta come by and pick out your bees.
    Bee-selling is very stressful if you care for your customer, lots of things to go wrong if you're not careful.
    I just can't imagine creating an angry mob in a parking lot! If I did, it would be the last time I sold bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    So, I picked up my bees yesterday . All went well. The deliverer offered me to inspect the boxes, but I didn't. I did have the boxes and could hear the bees, no sense to take a chance to roll the queen or make the bees mad right in the middle of town. While hiving at my place I found I got 5 frame nucs instate of 4 frames. So it was a good surprise .
    Beefarmer, I would love to see your setup . It sounds like the European style where you inspect the hive from behind instead from above.
    Burns375, I am not sure how you handled that nuc selling, In my case all came down to lack of communication . When the planed delivery is a day ahead and you hav'nt heard anything and then you hear he is still trying to figure out the delivery and takes still an other week, you for sure get nervous. The delivery man asked me what the agreement was.
    Heck, I cancelled my Visa card because I got scared .
    If the delivery is delayed I need at least an update how things are and I need an answer when I ask.
    And the delivery was delayed 4 weeks.
    Glad to hear that things worked out well, I really didn't expect them to based on the info you provided.

My set up is kind of like the Euro style, but I do it more to keep the bees in better working conditions. It's been going down to 1C a lot of nights this week but the heat is set at +21C all night so they don't cluster up and just keep working. I end up with way more honey than I could ever need, but at the same time it's cool to see how prolific they can be. We were actually in your area today, we took a trip over to Tumbler Ridge for a small hike with the kids!