shaking out a laying worker hive. a video

Default shaking out a laying worker hive. a video

I dont try to fix a hive when it goes queenless/laying worker. For the amount of resources and the prospect of failure, Id rather use those resources somewhere more useful. Its just my way. This is how I shake out a queenless, laying worker hive.
    https://youtu.be/e9puFW1AZlI
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: shaking out a laying worker hive. a video

Thanks for the video. Also, i never had a laying worker hive. So this works to rehome the bees, and distribute the resources. Curious, couldnt you have done a newspaperncombine? And what would thenoutcome have been if you did it that way? Nee here and curious dan... thanks, rich

Beeman...
    You have really nice looking equiptment in what looks like gods country.
    You should be proud.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    couldnt you have done a newspaperncombine?
    I'm pretty cautious about doing a newspaper combine with a laying worker hive. Especially one with a good sized population. Those bees ‘think’ they are queenright. And they have a number of bees that think they are queens. As long as I’m going to redistribute all their stuff, I might as well try to redistribute their bees. Just the way I do it....not necessarily the 'right' way.

Before it gets cold I do end of season final inspections. At that time any hives that might be marginal for any reason get shaken out. I don't try to carry 'dinks' through the winter. I had a fellow working with me one season a few years ago. We were doing those inspections. He was carrying a frame of bees and asked me if he should shake them out. I didn't even look up from the hive I was checking and replied 'when in doubt, shake 'em out'. That's one of my mottoes.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    You have really nice looking equiptment in what looks like gods country.
    Thats very kind of you to say. You ought to see that place when they plant it in sunflowers! I recorded a good bit about that place. Its a hunting lodge and they plant all sorts of game forage. Sadly, when I went to edit it all.it ran close to twenty minutes. A video has to be pretty captivating to keep me watching for more than a few minutes. So I figure other folks are the same way.for that reason I try to keep them short and on topic.

Thanks for explaining that to.me. I wasn't sure of the newspaper combine.. shaking is best then. They just filter back into other colonies population then. Kewl. I wondered about that. Thanks for explaining ... rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Thanks for explaining that to.me.
    I'm not the only one up ahead of the chickens this morning. My excuse....I have to go to the farmers market.

Lol,.im up early.allotmof.days this time.of the year. Rain here, so may go back to bed myself. I have.to go to farm, check livestock, and work the bees today if it let's up.