Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Extraction Foundation

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  grozzie2 
#1 ·
I'd like to outfit my medium deeps with foundation that will hold up year after year during extraction. Also foundation that the bees readily accept and draw out. As for wax moths, my intentions are to spray BT.

So the question for all of you who still do harvest honey, do you prefer something like the crimped wire foundation, or do you prefer plastic, like the Acorn brand? What are you finding works best for your needs?

#2 ·
This is my second year with Acorn Dbl waxed foundation. They did jump right on it, but of course it was the beginning of a flow. I like the ease of installation. As far as year after year, I don't know yet, but so far so good.

Alex

P.S. Nice people, too.

#3 ·
In my second year too, with black plastic foundation, all mediums. Had no problem with the bees filling out four boxes/10 frames last year. They're filling out more frames readily this year.
I don't know if what I have is Acorn, some came from a local Bee Supply and some from Mann Lake.

#4 ·
I mixed some waxed plastic and my bees pulled it instead of the 4-5 frames of real foundation with the bee man fishing line for support. Interesting that they liked the acorn/black and mann lake plastic/regular color vs the 4-5 frames of real foundation. ??? I was looking at having a few deep frames for queen making since it looks a lot easier with wax base vs plastic. I guess in the dark the plastic looks the same. ;)

#5 ·
Year 8. All plastic frames, never had a blowout in the extractor, some have been thru it more than a dozen times. I have about a dozen boxes of new frames went on colonies placed on a flow 6 weeks ago, all were 80% or better drawn out when I checked the bees 10 days ago. Expect to find them all fully drawn when we go to pick off honey supers next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.