giving a weak hive a boost

Default giving a weak hive a boost

Hi Folks,

I have a new package that's getting off to a slow start
    It's a long story why, but that irrelevant
    If I want to give them some resources in a couple of weeks, how would I do that?
    If I give them a frame of brood from another hive, I should shake the bees off it first, correct?
    Otherwise I assume the bees would fight.
    Is this the proper approach?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: giving a weak hive a boost

Easiest way is to find the queen in the donor hive and set that frame to the side (i use an empty nuc box or deep). Now go through the donor hive and find the frames you want to donate (frames that are mostly capped brood). Don't shake the frames, as you want the nurse bees as well.

If you cant find the queen then you would shake the donor frames off and set them in another box. Then put your donor hive back together but put a queen excluder ontop of the top brood box and then your box of donor frames
    Put the covers on as usual. Come back in several hours and your donor frames will now be populated with nurse bees and are ready to be given to the weaker colony.

The bees won't fight as they are nurse bees.

Another option is to swap hive postitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Another option is to swap hive postitions.
    I did this a few weeks ago and now both hives doing excellent.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Easiest way is to find the queen in the donor hive and set that frame to the side (i use an empty nuc box or deep). Now go through the donor hive and find the frames you want to donate (frames that are mostly capped brood). Don't shake the frames, as you want the nurse bees as well.

If you cant find the queen then you would shake the donor frames off and set them in another box. Then put your donor hive back together but put a queen excluder ontop of the top brood box and then your box of donor frames
    Put the covers on as usual. Come back in several hours and your donor frames will now be populated with nurse bees and are ready to be given to the weaker colony.

The bees won't fight as they are nurse bees.
    Regards,
    KGB-8Fmed

Thanks Folks,

In this situation I the the location switch might be best.
    It's a neighbor who's new at this
    She asked me to come look at two packages a week after install (weather had been all rain)
    One hive had untouched queen cage with dead marked worker in it
    She took cage back and supplier gave her a new queen but now they're kinda behind
    Will wait a while and see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    Thanks Folks,

In this situation I the the location switch might be best.
    It's a neighbor who's new at this
    She asked me to come look at two packages a week after install (weather had been all rain)
    One hive had untouched queen cage with dead marked worker in it
    She took cage back and supplier gave her a new queen but now they're kinda behind
    Will wait a while and see

Thanks
    Is there any brood in the hive in question? In either case, i think I would equalize the 2 hives by taking donor frames from the stronger hive. I know swapping the hives is the easier route, I just don't think it is the best. You will basically be boosting the hive with returning foragers (old bees at the end of their like cycle). The capped brood would be a time released aid. Not only helping now with the boost in population but also another boost when the brood hatches out. I would actually equalize these hives more than once, say 7 to 10 days apart.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Is there any brood in the hive in question? In either case, i think I would equalize the 2 hives by taking donor frames from the stronger hive. I know swapping the hives is the easier route, I just don't think it is the best. You will basically be boosting the hive with returning foragers (old bees at the end of their like cycle). The capped brood would be a time released aid. Not only helping now with the boost in population but also another boost when the brood hatches out. I would actually equalize these hives more than once, say 7 to 10 days apart.
    the problem is the other hive is just getting started too
    I'm going to wait a bit and see how it goes, moving frames is always an option

Thanks