? on upper entrance, SBB, imperfections

Question ? on upper entrance, SBB, imperfections

Hello all! Hope you're having a good Sunday!

I have a few questions/concerns that I would really appreciate y'alls input on.

1) When I see talk of adding upper entrances, is that in addition to the small notch that is already on the inner cover? Or is that only for those who do not have inner covers or the small entrance on it? I'm just wondering if I should make one on my have before I get them moved in.

2) I'm looking at my SBB and the entrance reducer right now, and on mine at least, the screen ends poke up just a bit where the bees will be coming in and out. Besides flattening them down a bit, should I cover that with something? And if so, what do you think would be best to use? I figure tape wouldn't last too long in the elements and traffic.

3) I received my boxes unassembled and I will be getting those put together today. I notice on one box, on the inside, there is a wide deep valley that I can set my finger inside of. Should I fill that in? I just worry about the SHB I keep reading about on here and how it might take advantage of that somehow.

Thank you! I've gotten some great tips from here and don't know what I would do without y'all!!
    New beekeeper on Texas Coast --- READ MY INTRODUCTION POST HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have notched inners and some of my supers have a 5/8" hole in them.....more for an upper entrance than anything. I do not run sbb as I and others believe it disrupts the bees ability to control the air flow in the hive. 20180520_110803_1526832618215.jpg

Default Re: ? on upper entrance, SBB, imperfections

I got the SBB on the advice from others as I live in South Texas on the coast and it gets very humid here.
    New beekeeper on Texas Coast --- READ MY INTRODUCTION POST HERE

Default Re: ? on upper entrance, SBB, imperfections

>1) When I see talk of adding upper entrances, is that in addition to the small notch that is already on the inner cover? Or is that only for those who do not have inner covers or the small entrance on it? I'm just wondering if I should make one on my have before I get them moved in.

It varies depending on the context. Sometimes people are talking about only a top entrance and no bottom entrance. Sometimes they are talking about a small top entrance to let the moisture out and a large bottom entrance. The small entrance could be made several ways, one of which would be the notch in the inner cover.

>2) I'm looking at my SBB and the entrance reducer right now, and on mine at least, the screen ends poke up just a bit where the bees will be coming in and out. Besides flattening them down a bit, should I cover that with something? And if so, what do you think would be best to use? I figure tape wouldn't last too long in the elements and traffic.

If it makes you feel better, you can cover them. I wouldn't bother. Bend them down.

>3) I received my boxes unassembled and I will be getting those put together today. I notice on one box, on the inside, there is a wide deep valley that I can set my finger inside of. Should I fill that in? I just worry about the SHB I keep reading about on here and how it might take advantage of that somehow.

Think of it as a small hive beetle corral. The bees can trap them there...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF