NY beeks there is aiac meeting scheduled for 5/20/2018 and to be presented - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: NY beeks there is aiac meeting scheduled for 5/20/2018 and to be presented

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post

Most people I've communicated with favor Ag and Mkts becoming more involved in apiary issues, do not mistrust them, favor collecting the most basic data about beekeeping in the state, and would like more inspectors and inspections. Most on the Committee have the same experience to report.

The BILL you refer to was NOT introduced by ESHPA or AG&Mkts. You should contact the sponsors of the BILL and give them your suggestions.
    For what it's worth, it seems to me that the current bee laws and the PPP gives the Commissioner of Ag the authority to establish a apiary registration program anyway. This NEW BILL is not necessary.

well so far everyone from ESHPA says's everyone is for it, there are 143 people in our club that are against it, that's 100%. not including the two adjoining clubs. as to people being for it, in minutes from the AIAC meeting posted on Pat's sight, the aiac member that owens better bee, took ema's letter and explained to the SABA group what was going on, and he stated they were not for it. So information has been presented and again ignored by AIAC committee. I have contacted the bills sponsors, and from what I can understand, that's not for dissemination.

>For what it's worth, it seems to me that the current bee laws and the PPP gives the Commissioner of Ag the authority to establish a apiary registration program anyway. This NEW BILL is not necessary. That's what I would have thought when Mr. Lodgue(sp) said the lawyers commented that they could write there own. So speculate if this current bill doesn't go through, and ag's and Markets turns around and writes it any way, what war's are going to develop?? so eshpa, ag's and Markets, and Emma didn't propose the bill, so who do you think hired the person that did propose the bill, think he or she is a bee keeper
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NY beeks there is aiac meeting scheduled for 5/20/2018 and to be presented

There will be a public comment of the registration program.
    the bill going through the legislature says implementation in 120 days after passing. I also assume the comment period will be after it passes??

stopped raining got to go make some nucs, more fun than this stuff. have a good day, thanks for posting the original information about the bill, you seemed to be the only one that knew about it.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    well so far everyone from ESHPA says's everyone is for it, there are 143 people in our club that are against it, that's 100%. not including the two adjoining clubs. as to people being for it, in minutes from the AIAC meeting posted on Pat's sight, the aiac member that owens better bee, took ema's letter and explained to the SABA group what was going on, and he stated they were not for it. So information has been presented and again ignored by AIAC committee. I have contacted the bills sponsors, and from what I can understand, that's not for dissemination.

>For what it's worth, it seems to me that the current bee laws and the PPP gives the Commissioner of Ag the authority to establish a apiary registration program anyway. This NEW BILL is not necessary. That's what I would have thought when Mr. Lodgue(sp) said the lawyers commented that they could write there own. So speculate if this current bill doesn't go through, and ag's and Markets turns around and writes it any way, what war's are going to develop?? so eshpa, ag's and Markets, and Emma didn't propose the bill, so who do you think hired the person that did propose the bill, think he or she is a bee keeper
    A couple of points are in order here Mike:
    > the letter Chris took to SABA was written by Emma in '15 when the discussion of registration was originally initiated. In the letter, mention was made of registering individual yards as well as beekeepers which has since been removed. Currently, yards are not included in the registry as it is being discussed, only number of hives and county identification of their location. As I mentioned earlier in this thread there was resistance to yard registration. Sounds like beekeeper opinions are being considered and not ignored as you claim.
    > you can speculate about the who dunnits and what'l happens but I can say with 100% certainty that none of those 3 groups you refer to drafted the BILL , nor did they find sponsors to move it along. To be clear, the BILL is a separate entity from the discussions being had by the AIAC, the resolutions adopted by the ESHPA or the opinion expressed by Emma.
    >To one of your earlier points, that I seem to have been the only one aware of the BILL, the fact of the matter is a email was circulated notifying those on the address list that a bill was presented and a link included as to where to read it. The email originated from a member of one of the local bee clubs in NYS.
    > I have no idea who proposed the BILL and have already explained that IMO the Comm of Ag already has the authority to mandate registration by the existing bee laws and no New Bill is necessary. My bet is that it will die in committee as unnecessary.
    I'm sorry I even drew attention to it as it has taken on a life of it's own and has become a distraction to the real business at hand.
    > As Emma said in her letter regarding registration "The bottom line is this: in order to improve the beekeeping situation in New York, we need to know the beekeeping situation in New York" is as true now as it was when written 3 years ago and probably more meaningful and necessary.

A couple of points are in order here Mike:
    > the letter Chris took to SABA was written by Emma in '15 when the discussion of registration was originally initiated. In the letter, mention was made of registering individual yards as well as beekeepers which has since been removed. Currently, yards are not included in the registry as it is being discussed, only number of hives and county identification of their location. As I mentioned earlier in this thread there was resistance to yard registration. Sounds like beekeeper opinions are being considered and not ignored as you claim.
    > you can speculate about the who dunnits and what'l happens but I can say with 100% certainty that none of those 3 groups you refer to drafted the BILL , nor did they find sponsors to move it along. To be clear, the BILL is a separate entity from the discussions being had by the AIAC, the resolutions adopted by the ESHPA or the opinion expressed by Emma.
    >To one of your earlier points, that I seem to have been the only one aware of the BILL, the fact of the matter is a email was circulated notifying those on the address list that a bill was presented and a link included as to where to read it. The email originated from a member of one of the local bee clubs in NYS.
    > I have no idea who proposed the BILL and have already explained that IMO the Comm of Ag already has the authority to mandate registration by the existing bee laws and no New Bill is necessary. My bet is that it will die in committee as unnecessary.
    I'm sorry I even drew attention to it as it has taken on a life of it's own and has become a distraction to the real business at hand.
    > As Emma said in her letter regarding registration "The bottom line is this: in order to improve the beekeeping situation in New York, we need to know the beekeeping situation in New York" is as true now as it was when written 3 years ago and probably more meaningful and necessary.
    thanks for your help, we get more information from you than the people who should be doing it. I think you are right, it will die in committee. thanks mike
    mike syracuse ny

hmm didn't die in committee

"I am sorry-- it passed the senate ag committee and is being sent to the rules committee
    only the memo from the lobbyist was presented"
    mike syracuse ny

well I'll have to deter to the longer living NY residents to tell me what to make of this. part of an email from Rep Bill McGee's office regarding the bill.

There is way too much confusion and misunderstanding regarding this bill.

First of all, the bill was only passed in committee. It has not reached the floor of either the Senate or the Assembly, and has not been voted on by either house.

It is still in the stages of discussion and amendment. The original bill – S.8274- A.10362- did not state that a registry would be “mandatory” as the reporter and some beekeepers seem to perceive.

I don’t think they actually read the bill-

http://nyassembly.gov/leg/? default_fld=%0D%0A&leg_video=& bn=S08274&term=2017&Summary=Y& Actions=Y&Committee% 26nbspVotes=Y&Floor% 26nbspVotes=Y&Text=Y

So the bill has not been passed, only moved from one committee to another.

Due to the misconceptions, ( which probably stem from a bill in the past which would have required registration, but was repealed,) there are amendments being made to the new bill to state that registration will be voluntary.

The purpose of a (voluntary) registration program is to give the Cornell bee program the tools they need to track bee diseases across the state, and relay information back to the beekeeping community. The bill provides for a method of informing beeks about the program, and gives them the opportunity to participate. There are no fees, and no repercussions for non-compliance written into the language of the bill.

The bill is currently being amended to add the word VOLUNTARY to the language where it would be appropriate. I can have copies of the re-write available at the next meeting Tuesday, or email them if you prefer.

I think that will be more clear to everyone; understanding that we all have enough to keep up with, and that some may enjoy participating on a higher level where others may barely have time to keep track of their smoker. J

Thanks for spreading the word, and you may pass this along with my contact info., I will be happy to talk to anyone else who has suggestions or thoughts regarding this, and pass their ideas along as well.
    so now my question, do we now tell our reps and senators we want this bill with voluntary passed, as it would take precedent over any thing Marketing and Ags has in the pipe line.
    mike syracuse ny

Nice to know that the opposition to this bill is having some effect. That finally beekeepers are being heard instead of a small cadre of beekeepers in the AIAC who insisted that "most beekeepers are in favor of mandatory registration" when expressing their views to the Commissioner of Agriculture.
    Sure let them (whoever "them" is) amend it, but reintroduce it in 2019, what's the rush? are there legal ramifications that we are not aware of? The bill is already tainted by the process and secrecy of it's introduction. Do a start over with a more transparent process.

I hope beekeepers from other states do not have to go through this. New York is special.

We already have voluntary registration, so it's unclear why the amended bill is needed, perhaps to open the door for further law making?

Below is the registration form, fill it out , but with the knowledge that you will not receive any notifications of spraying or disease or anything else.

Perhaps we need a bill compelling NYS Agriculture and Markets to start providing notification to beekeepers that are already voluntarily registered from the past 10-15 years.

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/PI/PI-134B.pdf

-----------------------------------------
    Here is my original point of view:

Beekeeper Bill being Fast-tracked through NYS Legislature

Re: Bill S8274/A10362, “Relates to developing a beekeeper registry program”.

There is a bill (S8274/A10362) being fast tracked through the NYS Legislature to require mandatory registration of beekeepers and forcing beekeeper vendors to report. Only through casual discovery was the Bill noticed on May 21, 2018. Beekeepers throughout NYS are now scrambling to obtain information on this bill, and are beginning to organize and voice their opposition.

This bill has never been discussed, announced, or open for comment to New York beekeepers prior to introduction to the NYS Legislature; it has been kept under a shroud of secrecy.

In 2007 there was a similar scenario, where legislation was quietly slipped into the legislature at the end of the NYS legislative session without the knowledge of most beekeepers. The Bill was enacted as law, but a major effort by NYS beekeepers was undertaken to successfully repeal the law in 2010.

Why are they doing this all over again? Has nothing been learned? Why is this bill being fast tracked without the knowledge and input of beekeepers?

To many the bill may seem innocuous and helpful (it’s about bees!), but better outreach and communication instead of a heavy handed regulation would be more helpful to beekeepers.

Beekeepers throughout the state are opposed to any mandatory registration to require traceability of hives and their beekeepers, citing: lack of transparency by Albany, lack of services, misuse of information, potential corruption, creating onerous and politically motivated regulations, and adding fees to an already costly profession. Just this week, a central NY beekeeper has written to me that " Midyork Beekeepers voting 40 to 2 against it, and my local beekeepers voting 8 to 2 against it”.

Since 2010 there has been a registration form on the NYS Agriculture & Market website, and over the years many beekeepers have voluntarily registered their apiaries, but:

The current registration form states that by registering, you will be notified of bee health developments---that is not true, as communication has been lacking. Albany needs to provide notification and communication now for the beekeepers already voluntarily registered for: county spraying for mosquitoes, use of bee toxic substances for tick abatement, outbreaks of honey bee disease such as American Foulbrood, before making promises of future notification and requiring mandatory registration, otherwise they are just collecting names.

This is not how democracy should work, where special interests and lobbyists get to influence and enact laws.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...2017/a10362#no

Senate Bill S8274

Assembly Bill A10362

2017-2018 Legislative Session; Relates to developing a beekeeper registry program

Find your ASSEMBLYMAN- http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Pat Bono

Rochester, NY
    Last edited by NY Bee Wellness; 06-07-2018 at 04:21 PM.

wildbranch
    so now my question, do we now tell our reps and senators we want this bill with voluntary passed, as it would take precedent over any thing Marketing and Ags has in the pipe line.
    Asking for it to fail would be better, then there is nothing to work to repeal later.
    For you new yorkers.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

The letter below, written by the Cornell Honey Bee Extension Associate in 2015 so somewhat dated, was published in the ESHPA Newsletter that year and is available for viewing on the ESHPA.org website.
    Some may have forgotten the needs for and the reasoning behind registration and this 3 year old letter outlines those things pretty well. Since the letter was published a few changes have been made or are being considered, one adaptation made is hive registration down to the county level NOT the yard level, and more recently a discussion concerning the dissemination of information derived from the registration program in the form of a annual report. Both of the above items were at the request of beekeepers.

Voluntary registration has most recently registered less than 50 NYS beekeepers (and half of those are from NYC)! Suffice it to say that voluntary beekeeper registration lacks participation in NY and as such is meaningless?

False claims, off the cuff comments and Knee jerk reactions have no place if the issue is as important to so many as it seems.

The Benefits of a Registration Program in New York State

Many beekeepers in New York have been struggling with colony loss for the past several years and want to know why their bees are doing so poorly. The Bee Informed Partnership survey estimates 54% of colonies died in New York between April 2013 and April 20141, which emphasizes that our bees are facing major problems that need to be addressed.

To help reverse these (and other pollinator) declines, Governor Cuomo announced the development of a state Pollinator Protection Plan. However, when we try to analyze the scope of the current situation for beekeepers, we have almost nowhere to start. We do not know how many beekeepers are in New York, how many colonies they manage, how many colonies they are losing each year, and whether some counties are being hit harder than others. These are questions for which we urgently need answers.

The easiest and most comprehensive way to understand colony health (and then work to improve it) is through beekeeper registration. Registration allows us to have exact statistics and monitor changes over time. Currently, our understandings of colony health and management practices are pieced together from three sources:

1. Apiary inspections document colony numbers and disease trends in the 35 known migratory beekeeping operations in New York.
    2. The Bee Informed Partnership conducts a national survey to track colony losses throughout the summer and winter. Last year’s survey included responses from 212 New York beekeepers2.
    3. New York Bee Wellness surveys non-migratory beekeepers throughout New York to uncover seasonal trends. Their most recent survey from summer 2015 received responses from 308 beekeepers3.

Inspection data, coupled with these surveys, give us the best insight on current beekeeping in New York, but it still only represents a small fraction (~10-15%) of the estimated 3000-4000 beekeepers in the state. Only a registration program can provide us with exact numbers. These data can give us a clear picture of beekeeping in New York with regards to which counties are popular for bees and how the industry is growing or shrinking each year. Such information could be useful for improving honey bee health in NY. For example, should an American foulbrood outbreak occur, we could quickly contact surrounding beekeepers to investigate its extent and prevent further spread.

With even more information – beyond basic registration – we can begin to conduct research to uncover the casual factors in colony decline and begin to figure out how to reverse these trends. Individuals who wish to help further research on bee health can choose on their registration application whether they want to be contacted by Cornell University or other accredited institutions for additional information. This information could include colony loss numbers, disease incidence, queen information, management practices, and apiary location. Having this information forms the basis for research that can uncover the real world factors driving declines in honey bee health in NYS. The bottom line is this: in order to improve the beekeeping situation in New York, we need to know the beekeeping situation in New York.

With this information, we could begin to find answers for the
    following kinds of questions:
    (Questions in blue can be answered with basic registration, questions in black can be answered with more detailed information)

Industry trends
    1. How many beekeepers are joining/leaving New York each year? What proportion are commercial vs. sideliner vs. hobbyists?
    2. How many colonies is each county supporting?
    Colony loss trends
    3. What are the trends in colony loss? Do annual losses fluctuate, or are they continuing to decline every year?

Disease Impacts
    1. What are the hotspots of disease in New York? Are there some counties that experience more pest and disease issues than others?
    2. If American foulbrood is identified in an apiary, what other apiaries are at risk? How fast can the infection spread from one colony to another?
    3. What is the virus incidence and prevalence in New York? How do these correlate with other colony health parameters?
    4. Are bacteria or mites developing resistance to treatments in New York?

Habitat Impacts
    4. How do surrounding landscapes (e.g., urban areas, different crop types) influence colony loss, disease incidence, and honey production?
    5. If a wildflower garden is planted to help bees, how many beekeepers will benefit from it? Where are the best areas to provide additional bee habitat?

Pesticide Impacts
    1. Are there correlations between pesticide use in an area and colony health?

Management Practice Trends
    1. How are beekeepers managing their colonies for disease? Are these management practices effective?
    2. Where are beekeepers getting their queens? Are there any relationships between queen origin and colony health?
    3. Are there any differences between operation size (commercial vs. sideliner vs. hobby) and colony health parameters?
    4. What kind of education programs should we develop to best serve beekeepers in NY?

Climate Trends
    1. How do changes in climate (e.g., temperature, precipitation, winter severity) affect colony productivity and health?

Beekeepers can benefit from registration beyond knowing they’ve done a good deed in providing data for monitoring and research. All beekeepers will be provided with annual summary reports to stay informed on industry trends. These reports will be available free of charge from the state and will be also be posted on the Cornell Pollinator Network website (www.cornellpollinatornetwork.com). An example of one such report (from Ontario, Canada) can be found by going to the following URL: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...bees/14rep.htm. Furthermore, beekeepers will be informed on local notices in real-time throughout the spring/summer/fall, such as disease outbreaks in their areas.

It’s time we start taking the health of beekeeping into our own hands. Register your colonies. Contribute data. Improve New York bee health.

References

1 Steinhauer, N., Rennich, K., Lee, K. et al. 2015. Colony loss 2014-2015: Preliminary results, https://beeinformed.org/results/colo...inary-results/ (Accessed on November 23, 2015).
    2 Lee, K. V., Steinhauer, N., Rennich, K. et al. 2015. A national survey of managed honey bee 2013–2014 annual colony losses in the USA. Apidologie 46: 292-305.
    3 New York Bee Wellness. 2015. Spring survey 2015 NY Bee Wellness results, http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=6782521e39 (Accessed on November 23, 2015).

Clyderoad
    Voluntary registration has most recently registered less than 50 NYS beekeepers
    I do find it interesting that the bee informed partnership had 169 voluntary participates from new york. Kinda makes you wonder at the difference doesn't it?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Voluntary registration has most recently registered less than 50 NYS beekeepers (and half of those are from NYC)! Suffice it to say that voluntary beekeeper registration lacks participation in NY and as such is meaningless?

False claims, off the cuff comments and Knee jerk reactions have no place if the issue is as important to so many as it seems.
    I disagree, by making it voluntary, forces the powers that want it to communicate with the beeks and make a good argument that they need the registration, make a good argument above board and I'm sure that far more would register, you have to consider the track record in NY of all the organizations. People are asking for communications, the bill is doing one thing, people are already going dark, deciding not to get bees, or contemplating getting rid of their bees.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Clyderoad

I do find it interesting that the bee informed partnership had 169 voluntary participates from new york. Kinda makes you wonder at the difference doesn't it?
    Cheers
    gww
    actually at one point there were more people participating, but a few people found that they seemed to be selecting data to use.
    mike syracuse ny

I've seen no false claims on the side of the people that don't want mandatory registration, if there were the legislators would change the bill to voluntary.
    mike syracuse ny

Wild, I'm here to present information that one can use to help them decide if registration may be beneficial to them and beekeeping in NY. Use it or not but realize it's more than a 'small cadre' of AIAC beekeepers touting the benefits of registration. Take the time to thoroughly look over the information presented here.

Personally, I find the conspiracy theories attacking this effort ridiculous.
    I find the thinly veiled comments regarding the AIAC, and by extension the AIAC process and the members of the committee, insulting and unwarranted.

Tell me please, what any individual or group of beekeepers or entity has to gain by mandatory registration at the expense of other beekeepers or non beekeeping NYS residents?

Take the time to thoroughly look over the information presented here.

I find the thinly veiled comments regarding the AIAC, and by extension the AIAC process and the members of the committee, insulting and unwarranted.
    Thinly veiled about a committee that will not post anywhere as required by law when they are having a meeting, you have to get a foil request to get the minutes, if you do a search of Ags and Markets, you get no hits, they won't/don't publish the members on the committee, if you do go to a meeting, you can't speak until the very end, and when they ask if you have anything to say, everyone at the table has already gotten up and started talking and you call this thinly veiled? No where does it say in the law, that all members must also be members of ESHPA, yet that's the case, so thinly veiled??

I have asked Wilson when he chaired the meeting, and cappy, how to get a comment into the discussion, I was told to send them to a member, but only things on the docket for that meeting would be discussed, this docket is passed out at the meetings, how pray tell do a get a comment in on a document I can't/haven't seen?

I have absolutely no problem with voluntary registration, as a matter of fact I'm trying to convince people to go back to the reps and senators and tell them to pass the current legislation if it's voluntary, that should preclude the aiac from implementing their compulsory registration. If the people that want the PPP money can come up with good arguments why people should register, you will get a good amount of them registered. Then the burden will be on the people that want the money, not on the lowly beek.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Thinly veiled about a committee that will not post anywhere as required by law when they are having a meeting, you have to get a foil request to get the minutes, if you do a search of Ags and Markets, you get no hits, they won't/don't publish the members on the committee, if you do go to a meeting, you can't speak until the very end, and when they ask if you have anything to say, everyone at the table has already gotten up and started talking and you call this thinly veiled? No where does it say in the law, that all members must also be members of ESHPA, yet that's the case, so thinly veiled??

I have asked Wilson when he chaired the meeting, and cappy, how to get a comment into the discussion, I was told to send them to a member, but only things on the docket for that meeting would be discussed, this docket is passed out at the meetings, how pray tell do a get a comment in on a document I can't/haven't seen?

I have absolutely no problem with voluntary registration, as a matter of fact I'm trying to convince people to go back to the reps and senators and tell them to pass the current legislation if it's voluntary, that should preclude the aiac from implementing their compulsory registration. If the people that want the PPP money can come up with good arguments why people should register, you will get a good amount of them registered. Then the burden will be on the people that want the money, not on the lowly beek.
    You expressed these same sentiments a few years ago on this very forum.
    Two years ago I sent you a message offering myself as your conduit to the meeting, I did the same for others who wanted their views
    expressed in the meetings. You have not contacted me once to take advantage of my offer, not once. Nor have you initiated any conversation
    regarding the state of beekeeping in general here in NY over this time period. Many others have taken advantage of my offer and have had their views presented and received feedback from me regarding the meetings and topics discussed or presented.

Have you read the reasoning behind mandatory registration that is posted here from ESHPA and the Bee Extension Associate? you find fault with that reasoning?
    As I've said before, it is not 'a small cadre of of beekeepers insisting most are in favor of mandatory registration' to achieve the benefits described in the letters, it is the many beekeepers themselves who have expressed their opinion on the subject and see the need.
    How about answer my question- Tell me please, what any individual or group of beekeepers or entity has to gain by mandatory registration at the expense of other beekeepers or non beekeeping NYS residents?

It's beginning to sound like you get a kick out of just complaining.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 06-08-2018 at 07:24 AM.

You expressed these same sentiments a few years ago on this very forum.
    Two years ago I sent you a message offering myself as your conduit to the meeting, I did the same for others who wanted their views
    expressed in the meetings. You have not contacted me once to take advantage of my offer, not once. Nor have you initiated any conversation
    regarding the state of beekeeping in general here in NY over this time period. Many others have taken advantage of my offer and have had their views presented and received feedback from me regarding the meetings and topics discussed or presented.

Have you read the reasoning behind mandatory registration that is posted here from ESHPA, the Bee Extension Associate? you find fault with that reasoning?
    How about answer my question- Tell me please, what any individual or group of beekeepers or entity has to gain by mandatory registration at the expense of other beekeepers or non beekeeping NYS residents?

It's beginning to sound like you get a kick out of just complaining.
    I've had other members keeping me informed, so need to contact you. Yes I will keep complaining about the AIAC and ag's and markets until they join the open and free flow of information, that is the bedrock of democracy.
    mike syracuse ny

gee my horoscope is appropriate today
    Libra (change)
    The most trivial events seem to agitate people around you, amplifying tiny ripples of disturbance into substantial waves.
    mike syracuse ny

Registration from the perspective of Cornell:

https://pollinator.cals.cornell.edu/...rk%20State.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12