Do you ever have to remove frame feeders or can you just leave them in?

Default Do you ever have to remove frame feeders or can you just leave them in?

I have frame feeders and the bees accept sugar solution at different rates in different hives.

One hive still takes the sugar, but is busting, so I added a second deep on top.

Do you:

1. Move the feeder to the top box.
    2. Do nothing and refill.
    3. Do nothing and let it go dry, anticipating the dearth in late July?
    4. Remove entirely?

Of course the old rule, ask 500 beekeepers, get 600 answers applies.

Anyway - what thinks the group?

Z

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do you ever have to remove frame feeders or can you just leave them in?

I usually remove them and add frames to give the bees more space. Then make room for them again if future feeding is needed. If I add a second deep of new foundation and there isn't a strong flow, I'll move the feeder up to the top deep to help them draw out the new frames.

Welcome to BeeSource!
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Ide remove it or move to New box. Once the flow is on they won't need syrup until dearth/winter prep. There's also a chance they may build burr comb inside feeder if it's open...not cap & ladder style.

Default Re: Do you ever have to remove frame feeders or can you just leave them in?

I agree. I have seen many frame feeders full of burr comb.

It is the new Mann Lake style with the wood top and twin ladders. I do not think they can build comb inside.

Most commercial beekeeper leave them in. I pull them to give them another frame. To work. But I do very little feeding to.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Most commercial beekeeper leave them in. I pull them to give them another frame. To work. But I do very little feeding to.
    As do I. I prefer frames of brood over a feeder! 🙂

This may not be an issue for you but .... last year, I left feeders in hives until they were low in syrup. On adding more syrup, beaucoup SHBs poured out. Some old-timer told me the beetles use the available feeder space as a beetle hotel, so .... now I'm more careful.

I use the Mann Lake Pro double wide medium depth feeders.

I don't leave them in.

In the spring if they need feeding then it is because they have empty frames. I remove two frames and put a feeder in the top box.

For fall feeding I put four double wide frame feeders in a super and place it on top of the hive. A strong hive will put away all of that 2:1 in a couple of days.
    Zone 6B

I leave them in. I move them to the new box as long as I am in what I consider the brood nest area (four boxes of eight frame mediums). Then I leave it below when I add supers. It saves finding a place to store them and the trouble of hauling them back and forth.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I leave them in the second deep. I don't leave them in the lower deep
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY