What? Who knew??? Tetanus shot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What? Who knew??? Tetanus shot

My wife dropped by her local Md for her yearly checkup. During the conversation they brought up the bees and honey. Before she left the doc said "since you're working with bees you should have a tetanus shot". -Rant to follow......
    In my opinion bees are about the most antiseptic livestock you could have. Granted we live in a rural area and she (the doctor) never brought up dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, cows, rabbits, mice, or anything else you can imagine on a farm. Why do you suppose she directed the requirement to working with bees?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What? Who knew??? Tetanus shot

Uh, maybe the doc is behind on his/her tetanus quota? It is covered by insurance, right?

If you are more than 10 years past your tetanus shot, than it is standard medical practice to recommend one after an insect sting. Generally speaking, this is the "rule" for any sort of puncture injury; whether it be stepping on a nail, bitten by a dog (or chicken, or whatever), stung by an insect, stabbed by a jealous ex, etc.

Your actual risk of tetanus following a bee sting is fairly low - there are a few clinical reports of it occurring, with most occurring in countries with poor vaccine coverage. The reason your doctor recommended it - even though the risk is low - is that the consequences if you get infected are extreme. Even with modern treatment, the fatality rate of tetanus is ~13% in the US, and if you survive you have a high risk (30-50%) of living the rest of your life with moderate-to-severe disability.

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    If you are more than 10 years past your tetanus shot, than it is standard medical practice to recommend one after an insect sting....
    "10 years since" is the key phrase.
    The rest is pretty much irrelevant.

I don't know how many punctures I got just over the last week while pruning my raspberry patch.
    No one ever asked me IF if I have a raspberry patch.
    Got forbid, no one ever asked me if I grew gooseberries - guess what, I grow lots of gooseberries because we love them.
    I got a broken-off rose thorn point buried in my finger for a week - to deep to try to dig out (annoying, but it just dissolves on its own, not a big deal).
    There is more.....

This now amounts to hundreds (?) of punctures and scrapes just over the last year.

That doctor ..... well, just laughable. A bee sting...
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

What if you are already disabled for life? Do the odds change?🤣🤣🤣
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes. Less surface area to get stung.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    What if you are already disabled for life? Do the odds change?������
    Is that better or worse than life with out a colon and having a bag stuck to your stomach?
    I will not post pics of it. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by gravelroad View Post
    What if you are already disabled for life? Do the odds change?������
    Is that better or worse than life with out a colon and having a bag stuck to your stomach?
    I will not post pics of it. Sorry...
    Oh that is much worse! I was happy to have my amp after fighting a badly diseased foot for two years. A colostomy would be much worse......sorry to hear.

Oh that is much worse! I was happy to have my amp after fighting a badly diseased foot for two years. A colostomy would be much worse......sorry to hear.
    I got my ileostomy when I was in my 20's. Before then I was taking pills by the hand full, living in a hospital 50% of the time, and to sick to live life.

Sorry about the foot. 2 years is a long time for a health issue.

What about getting poked by some foundation wire? Small puncture, very little bleeding, what ever nasty little thing goes in stays in.

Some good points guys... (Sorry had to say it). Ten year thing definitely, poked by a foundation wire most definitely. I got bit by a snake last year, got mine updated then. Good till I'm 68, I'm sure someone will remind me then.

Well I am in trouble then I catch as many as 30 stings a week and I haven't had a tet. Shot for 16 years! I've found the less I see the doctor the healthier my wallet and I are. All jokes aside when we get stung wenthrow some honey on it smoke the area and go on.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    "10 years since" is the key phrase.
    The rest is pretty much irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant; its the reason behind the medical recommendation:
    Tetanus = low risk but severe outcomes; tetanus vaccine = immeasurably small risk, enormous benefit

That doctor ..... well, just laughable. A bee sting...
    If you had gotten tetanus and it was found your MD did not at least suggest the shot, they'd be liable for malpractice. Its called "doing their job" and "being competent".

It seems not all doctors agree on the issue of tetanus from bee/insect stings.

Consider these two ...
    Tetanus Shots and Stings

What You Should Know:
    You cannot get tetanus from a bee sting or other insect sting.
    You do not need a tetanus shot after a sting.
    Routine Tetanus Booster: If it has been more than 10 years since your last tetanus shot, you need a booster shot. Make an appointment to see your doctor.

https://ponderosafamily.com/Medical-...w-Jacket-Sting
    - and -
    It is also important to prevent the possibility of getting a tetanus infection. The skin broken by an insect bite could become infected with tetanus bacteria. You can prevent this type of infection by keeping up to date with tetanus shots. Adults should have a tetanus booster shot at least every 10 years.

https://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/l..._bites_stings/

Note that in each case I only included a snippet of the full page. Click the links to read the entire page.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I am NOT arguing against the shot - I HAVE it.
    Your 10 year lapsed - just do it then.
    That's the point.

The laughable part - you got bees, you have to have a shot... Wha?
    Look, I grow potatoes for food and handle manure. Should I get a tetanus shot, Doctor?
    Just plain silly talk.

You have to have that shot no matter what you do - period.
    NOT because you now got a beehive.
    Your beehive is irrelevant. That's the point.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

and this just goes to show that the medical profession has no clue when it comes to bee venom and the sting.

wadf Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post

It seems not all doctors agree on the issue of tetanus from bee/insect stings.
    Its not a case of disagreement - it is a case of an incompitent (or, if you're feeling generous, uneducated) doctor versus one who actually knows their stuff. Insect bites are the third most common transmission vector for Tetanus. When in doubt, look to see what the CDC (or your countries equivalent/the WHO) says.

If the former is your doctor, its time to find a new one.

I am NOT arguing against the shot - I HAVE it.
    Your 10 year lapsed - just do it then.
    That's the point.
    Except most people don't know when they had it last, and given the safety profile of the shot, its generally better for a MD to give the shot if there is any doubt as to the timing of the previous dose.

Look, I grow potatoes for food and handle manure. Should I get a tetanus shot, Doctor?
    Yes, as you would be considered high-risk. I'm on a 5-year booster cycle myself, due to my work as a microbiologist.

Its all risk management. The risk of tetanus vaccination - even in excess - is essentially immeasurable. The consequences of a tetanus infection, on the other hand, is extreme.

325 million Americans and only 30 cases a year....I know I am going to be up nights worrying about it.

325 million Americans and only 30 cases a year....I know I am going to be up nights worrying about it.
    Well whadda know; you vaccinate most of the population against a disease and most of them don't get it.

Its almost like vaccines prevent infections or some such thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast