Harvesting cells a little early

Default Harvesting cells a little early

I grafted 5/12, going by the online calendar, they are capped today and I can harvest Monday 5/21. Due to rainy weather, i'm considering harvesting Sunday 5/20. How fragile will cells be at this point? Obviously will be careful regardless.

Alternative, I can try to harvest Tuesday 5/22. Again according to calendar, queens can emerge 5/24. I've read if its warm, or if my larvae were a little older, they may emerge early. It has not been too warm, but I may have picked a few slightly larger larvae. How risky is it to harvest at this stage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Harvesting cells a little early

IMHO, it would be better to move them a day early then to have one hatch early and destroy some or all of the rest. People move cells early all of the time to place into an incubator.

do you have the roller cages that you can slip over the cells on Sunday?

A day early is no big deal. Just be careful. Don't drop them.

No hair roller cages unfortunately. Making a list of things for the next graft, and will pick some up for occasions like this.

I was leaning more towards earlier rather than later, thanks for confirming everyone.

I agree. Plant them on Sunday - for sure. This will be perfectly fine. Again, be gentle and keep them warm.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I have moved queencells just after being capped or at any time between then and emergence. If they are being moved in the same apiary they are fine. One time I left it a little late as the queen was coming out as I removed the queencell. I have not (yet) left it so late that multiple queens have emerged before I got the them. I guess it will happen sooner or later!
    May your bees read the same books as you do
    http://www.norfolkbee.co.uk/home

Just do it. One day isn't a big deal. In hot weather I would always do that.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I've moved cells in the grafting frame, in a nuc box, in the bed of the truck three miles to the mating yard, over country roads, smack dab in the middle of the fragile stage, and 90% of them emerged and made great queens. It is not something I try to do on a regular basis, but busy schedules sometimes forces me into drastic measures.

I waited an extra day one time. Hatched 2 out on the tailgate that I ran in to nucs I quickly made from my builder, another was chewing her way out in my cup holder as I drove to the next yard. Was a fun day.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.