wax moths

Thread: wax moths

Default wax moths

I checked a dead-out hive and found early stages of wax moths. There was some web on the comb but no larvae (yet).
    I put the comb in my chest freezer to kill off the eggs/larvae.

Will it be ok to re-use the frames after a few days of freezing? Will the bees clean up the webs and larvae if they are put in a hive?

Thanks.
    "Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto, half not be." -- Monty Python

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes and yes, no problem at all. I would let them warm to room temp first but otherwise you are good to go.

The larva creates the webs. Did they die out last year?

Default Re: wax moths

Just make sure you don't put them back in a weak hive, or you'll be visiting the freezer again ; )

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    The larva creates the webs. Did they die out last year?
    No it was this year that it died (came out of winter very weak). I should have said no larva were seen. Also there was only a little webbing on a couple frames.
    It was definitely the early stages of infestation.
    "Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto, half not be." -- Monty Python

It would be a good idea to spray your infested (as well as the others) frames with BT (bacillus thuringus), found at any garden supply store. It has no affect on bees whatsoever and can be sprayed on active frames with bees.

A primary location for wax moths to shelter is on the underside of the frame support "wings". There's a hole here and moths love it. I make sure that the holes in my frames are filled with wood glue.

I never see any wax moth larvae until July or August at the earliest... seems awfully early for New Jersey. If there are no larvae, then it's not from this year.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF